Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belong or NOT belong in Northern Virginia

Posted by the_virginian Zone 7 NoVA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 11:56

I get comments both ways, but mostly positive and with surprise and delight. Tell me what you think about my garden and would you incorporate some of the cold hardy tropicals in your Virginia garden? Turn up your speakers and enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: PJ's Tropical Zone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belong or NOT belong in Northern Virginia

What an amazing show! (And your garden looks great also.)

There are two gardens near me with banana trees, which always surprise me. I like the "spike monster" the best I think. I would have to do some serious soil amending to grow most of the cold hardy yuccas and agaves here, but they sure are interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your garden develops, thanks for sharing the slide show.

Kent

o

I just moved to Herndon from NY a year ago, and it never ceases to amaze me the type of tropical vegetation my neighbors have going in their yards! I'm curious though, do you find your tropical garden more active in spring or summer? Also, I noticed one of the palms growing awfully close to your house, are their roots not-invasive enough to hurt your foundation? I keep finding yellow poplar trees and oaks growing next to my house and it worries me that it'll affect the foundation.

o

Hollyberri:

Thanks for the kudos and no, palm trees do not have invasive or strong enough roots to hurt your foundation. Hardwood trees on the other hand can be dangerous to the foundation in some cases. I find the garden looks best in the summer and early fall, but this year is the first year so it is hard to gauge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here