Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia nurseries

Posted by bobbygil 7 (rascal559@aol.com) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 15:57

Hi..I'm driving from Atlanta to Connecticut in early Sept and would love breaking up the trip by stopping at nurseries that have a good selection of perennials. Anyone have a favorite nursery thats not to far off of 85 and 95?Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia nurseries

In the Northern Virginia area I would recommend a stop by Merrifield Garden Center. I have not been to the Merrifield location, but the Fair Oaks one is not too far out of the way. It has a large selection or shrubs, tree and perennials along with a nice display garden. The prices tend to be rather high, but in line for the area, quality and size.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Merrifield Garden Center

o

Bluemont nursery in Ashburn, Virginia and Holly, Woods and Vine in Alexandria, VA.

o

Here's a second to Merrifield Garden Center. The Fair Oaks location is better (better selection of perennials for shade, and sun, plus more shrubs) than the Merrifield one, but the staff is friendly and helpful at both.

Suz

o

Sandy's Plants in Mechanicsville outside of Richmond.

Just down from Merrifield Nursery on rt 29 (an overly expensive nursery)is Betty's Azalea Ranch, looks like tackville from the road but has great selection.

Sadly, Windy Hill in Aldie was the place for perennials but is closed down this year. I still like to make my way down rt 50 though, there's South Riding, Green Star and (puke) Meadow Farms for an occasional gem lost in the walmart like selection.

o

I'll second the Sandy's nomination. They're not too far off 295 east of Richmond. It is mostly wholesale, so don't expect a lot of hand-holding. Their retail prices are average.

You'll want a hat and some water with you- you'll be out there a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandy's Plants

o

Colesville Nursery is just north of Richmond in the Ashland area. They have a website and directions. Like Sandy's they're mostly wholesale but sell retail, also.
From Richmond:

Take I-95 north to the Ashland exit (92B). Go 1/2 mile to Route 1 (the 3rd stoplight) and turn right. Proceed north about 1.2 miles to Jamestown Road and turn right. After crossing over I-95 you will see Colesville Nursery signs and will take a left onto Nursery Road (our driveway).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here