Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgirl1257

Buying a New House that Has a Garden! Help!

NewGirl1257
11 years ago

My husband and I are buying a new house, and it has a huge vegetable garden (and I love that). We'll be closing in August and the first thing I need is to know how to take care of it from day 1. This is how bad it is - I barely even know how to water a garden - when, how much, which plants need more and which need less, etc. I would have no idea how to plant or fertilize anything.

I know for sure I have tomatoes, fennel strawberries, potatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos and habeneros, and corn, and I'm sure lots more that I just couldn't identify when looking over the garden.

I want to be sure that I take care of it and I do all the fall things I need to do to be sure it's in good shape in the spring.

I was also contemplating trying to do some winter gardening to learn some basic things - I thought maybe I could get a cover for one of my plots and plant lettuce and other fall/winter plants.

I would be really grateful for any advice, even if it's just a really good gardening 101 book that you love.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!