Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonnybelle

Rose question: moving to Springfield, Virginia from Dallas

sonnybelle
16 years ago

This is a cross-post from the Antique Roses forum.

Even though I'm excited to move to the DC area in a few weeks, one thing that has been tugging at me is leaving my roses behind. I thought I'd ask the Virginia residents (and maybe even someone who lives in or close to Springfield) which of the roses listed below (in containers right now) do well over there.

- Dame de Coeur

- Mevrouw Natalie Nypels

- Marie Pavie

- Perle dÂOr

- Souvenir de la Malmaison

- Coldwell Pink

- Francis Dubreuil

- Pink Gruss an Aachen

- Paul Neyron

- Climbing Iceberg

- Charles Darwin (David AustinÂs)

- Mrs. R. M. Finch

- Pink Rosette

- Charity (David AustinÂs)

- Baby Love, miniature

- Deep Velvet, miniature

- RainbowÂs End , miniature

To add insult to injury, the relo company just told me that it would not move the plants, so any container I take with me would travel across the country in a van with our three big dogs... I will rehome the others with family, friends or rose enthusiasts...

Thank you very much for your input.

Isabelle

Comment (1)

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Welcome to Virginia!

I live in the vicinity of Springfield.

Roses can be somewhat challenging to grow here due to long stretches of extreme humidity. I'd suggest leaving behind any rose easily susceptible to blackspot. Or bring cuttings of everything and next year ruthlessly weed out those which prove attractive to blackspot. Local blackspot is easily controlled with either a mild baking soda solution drench or with a milk spray, both of which require re-application after each rain. This spring we have had very little rain, and I have only had to make one application since the beginning of April. OTOH, I have been irrigating since mid-April.

Your other challenge is going to be a heavy clay soil. Unless you are fortunate and find a house previously owned by an enthusiastic gardener, please expect to do some extensive soil amending. Local roses do best in raised beds of at least a foot above ground level. Fairfax County runs a superb leaf recycling program, with free composted leaves available almost all year at Lorton and at West Ox Road (FairLakes) as well during late fall to summer at smaller locations. One small pickup area is near North Springfield, just off the road to Lake Accotink - if you can stand all those horrid speed bumps. The leaves make an excellent soil in one year, less if used in a lasagna-type bed.

When planning and preparing the beds, do make provision for drip irrigation. We are presently in drought condition (my garden has had 2" rain in the past four months), and drought is normal from the end of July through August, unless a hurricane or tropical storm passes through.

In moving the plants: prune back, water well, wrap pot to the base of trunk with plastic to retain moisture; cover with heavy paper or bubble wrap [leave an air space if bubblewrap is used] and then securely tie with twine; and it's okay to let them travel on their sides. Traveling in August is going to be very difficult, both because this is not their normal dormant period and because you are likely to subject them to extreme heat. Leaving them in a closed vehicle on a hot day can literally bake them; remember that an 80° day can raise the car's interior temperature to 120° in about 15 minutes, 135° in less than an hour. I know of no moving company that is willing to take the responsibility of shipping plants, however, you might wish to check into UPS or FedEx express service. The dogs would likely be better off *not* cuddling up to the roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairfax leaf mulch

Sponsored