Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artrageousskb

Butterflies

artrageous
17 years ago

Funny--I noticed some butterflies (mainly Eastern Tiger Swallowtails) very early this spring. Since then I haven't seen NEARLY as many (of any type) in my gardens. In past years little frittillaries were all over my black eyed susans--haven't seen a single one.

I continue to see a few swallowtails but still not nearly as many as in previous years. Mosquitoes, however, are on the rampage...

What's happening in your part of the state?

Comments (13)

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

I've noticed the same thing but thought it might be related to the heat. The first part of the spring/summer we had the usual number of flutterbys but recently they are really scarce. I was at a nursery this AM and even the butterfly bushes were bare of activity. But the yellow jackets seem to be thriving this year and are very early.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

I've had good numbers here in Richmond, saw the first monarch earlier this week. What we're missing is hummingbirds. Finally have 2 at the feeders.

Perhaps I've planted so many flowers they don't need the feeders until now? But really, I work in a wild bird food store and lots of folks around here are missing their hummers.

I did find a product that has helped with mosquitoes. It's cedar oil, you mix it in a sprayer and mist the grass and plants where mosquitoes hang out. It makes them uncomfortable, so they move on. I've been pleasantly surptised at how well it works. Time will tell, I just sprayed it this week, and it hasn't rained. Don't know how often I'll have to spray. But being able to pick beans without a full load of DEET was nice! Just saw one or two buggers- not 15!

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

The tiger swallowtails have been around for about 3 weeks, with the occasional monarch stopping by. Very, very few compared to last year; due to the heat or to the results of the general public's enthusiastic use of herbicides? There are a couple spotted skippers, fun to watch as they flitter from the phlox on one side of the lawn over to the zinnias on the other side. A pair of hummers returned this year. Altogether, not enough flutterbys to feel that they are making a comeback. Neighbors have finally begun to plant attractants, but still only an occasional butterfly is noted. BTW, no sighting of a honeybee yet, and the bumblies are greatly reduced in number; none of the huge ones have been around and only a few of the smaller types. Pollinators seem limited to a few tiny bees and one or two hornet-types.

• artrageous
    Original Author
    17 years ago

::BTW, no sighting of a honeybee yet, and the bumblies are greatly reduced in number; none of the huge ones have been around and only a few of the smaller types.::

I've seen a few honeybees in my yard this summer--first time in a few years!

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

I've seen a few swallowtails (only one male Eastern swallowtail, unless it was a yellow-form female). We've had more skippers than anything else, but still not many. I have seen a few viceroys, and J thought he saw an early monarch this week.

I've seen the usual one-or-is-it-two hummingbird(s). The only thing that makes us think there might be two are the feeding habits. Relatives in the country have said that they've seen fewer hummingbirds, and butterflies have been hugging the creekways.

We've seen a few honeybees, mostly in the thistles and cardoon. I've heard that there are some honeybees near Culpeper. It seems to be a banner year for all manner of other bees, wasps, and assorted tiny pollinators, which I enjoy seeing too.

• creatrix
    17 years ago

I saw my first green bee this year. At first I thought it was a beetle. I'm still seeing it around.

Here is a link that might be useful: my photo of the green bee

• meldy_nva
    17 years ago

Add this to my list of new knowledge -- I don't think I've ever seen one! A fast peruse indicates they are usually "solitary" bees; and not highly defensive, that is, they won't sting unless endangered.

Here is a link that might be useful: green bee pics

• artrageous
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In the last several days I've seen LOTS of butterflies in my yard--mainly swallowtails. Still don't know where the frittillaries are--they've usually been out in full force each summer!

• gardenpaws_VA
    17 years ago

No swallowtails in my Herndon yard, though I've got fennel and Queen Anne's Lace for them, and I haven't seen many elsewhere until the last week or so. The little fritillaries are out in force, on the violets and the black-eyed susans, and I've seen a couple of skippers - otherwise just the little blue ones and the white cabbage butterflies. No hornworms/sphinx moths (though my tomatoes are grateful for their absence).

I'll have a better idea of the bee situation once my squash come into bloom, as I haven't much in the way of good bee plants right now. Something was around earlier, as the blueberries were pollinated quite thoroughly - good fruit set.

At least one hummer is around, and it's fairly likely I've got a nest on the property, as I saw said hummer hanging around an awful tangle of rambler rose, poison ivy and honeysuckle that's tumbling over what once was a VA red cedar. They've had a nest before in that area - I'll have to ask my son if he's seen both sexes at the calibrachoa up by the house.

• juliat
    17 years ago

I am not an expert on butterflies, but my children and I enjoy watching them, so I have noticed too -- almost no interesting ones this year. Two swallowtails in May or June, none since then. No monarchs. All I've seen are the little whitish-yellow ones. And I grow dill, parsley, asclepias (although it's incarnata), coreopsis, yarrow, verbenas... but still, no dice this year! We had a lot last year, and even swallowtail caterpillars on the parsley! Our only interesting visitors this year have been a frenzy of (harmless, usually mating) small milkweed bugs! ;-P

Also, have not had our hummingbirds on the agastache this year. Maybe they miss my scarlet sage? I had to rip it out; it was taking over!

• heatheron40
    17 years ago

All of the yellow swallowtails must be here in the Richmond area!! I can count 20 on each butterfly bush X 3= Lots.

I have to admit, I have been sad about it also. Almost everyday for the past several weeks I have seen dead swallowtails along the roadside....I'm guessing that is directly related to their demise. I haven't seen any of the little powder blue ones this year, hmmm.

We have our same 4 or 5 hummers around and have never seen a honey bee in Va. I see lots of the bumbly ones, but not the kind I grew up with (small rather petite drones).

I am missing my humming bugs though. We miss them.

• decogrl
    17 years ago

I walk into them!

I have several kinds this year--monarchs, one that looks blue black another that looks more orange (sorry I don't know the names) I do have lantana, butterfly bushes, Joe Pye weed (It is I believe the Monarch's host plant)Anise Hyssop, and a couple of different cone flowers. This year I seem to have a whole lot--also a lot of bees too. I only had a hummer 1 or 2 days. I have too much back yard shade for them I guess. Now I will probably jinx myself by saying this but...I haven't seen mosquitos in my yard yet. I live in a wooded area. Perhaps because I have soooo many backyard birds this year, they are eating them all. I hope that is the case and I don't see any!

• gardenpaws_VA
    17 years ago

The swallowtails finally found our yard - at last count there were 5 goodsized caterpillars on the bronze fennel. I hope that at least a couple survive the birds.

My son reported goldfinches on the black-eyed susan plants this past week, though I think those are secondary to the coneflowers as attractants.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus