Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese beetles

Posted by bioworm 7 chesterfield (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 1:13

I'm having strange experiences with the j beetles this year. I've tried some remedies for extermination of these major nuisances and am trying to figure out what may have worked. They just up and disappeared they usually linger almost until first frost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese beetles

Some years there are just not as many of them as others. According to VA Tech, drought in late July and early August will reduce populations the following year. I don't think it was especially dry here back then but I can't say for sure. And with summer thunderstorms being the main source of parcipitaion that time of year, it could be that your area was just missed then and the ground was too dry for them.

I've never had a serious problem with them and I'm in Chesterfield, too. What did you do this year that was different from past years?

Sandy

o
RE: japanese beetles

Milky Spore is an organic powder that you distribute on your land (garden, lawn, shrub beds, etc.) in the recommended amount in a grid pattern, and then water it in. It is a completely organic product that is reputed to last for 15 to 20 years. It affects the growth of the grubs several ways, preventing them from becoming beetles. You can Google it and read about it's discovery/development. I don't have problems with them here, so I haven't put it down. You might want to apply it so it can start working. My brother put it down on his garden and lawn in Pennsylvania, and there was a drastic reduction in the number of beetles the next year.

Check it out.

veggie_pak

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here