Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Late Blight in Floyd County

Posted by wcthomas 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 9:59

All 60 of my beautiful lush tomato plants here in Floyd, VA were wiped out in a week by what looks like late blight. They are now just crispy critters!

I managed to harvest a couple of bushels before they completely bit the dust, picking everything with blush or more and with no lesions. Potatoes were also hit so I harvested them as well. We have had almost constant rain here the last month so I was afraid some kind of foliage disease would hit, but I did not expect this. LB in Floyd was also confirmed last month on usablight.org.

Oh well, the rest of my garden is doing great, and I won't let this setback ruin my sunny disposition! I'll buy my tomato needs locally, and try again next year.

TomVA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Late Blight in Floyd County

That is one ugly tomato plant.
I feel your pain. Here in Lynchburg, we have had a couple of plants succumb to late blight and quickly dispatched them. A knowledgeable friend stopped by with a plant pathology book and positively identified the disease as late blight. We are hoping that we nipped it in the bud. Also lots of rain here. All of the other tomatoes have early blight and are still producing, though the plants are quickly dying from the ground up. Still, I did manage to can enough tomato juice to see us through till 2014.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here