Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving spaghetti squash seeds?

Posted by leslie_c 7, harrisonburg,Va. (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 9:59

What is the best method for saving spaghetti squash seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving spaghetti squash seeds?

Be sure the squash is completely ripe. When you cut open the squash before cooking, scoop out the seeds and any attached membrane [around the seed]. DH rinses the membranes off, I don't. Spread the seeds flat onto several layers of newspaper with another couple pages over them to keep them in the dark. Check twice daily and remove any damp newspaper. Depending on ambiant humidity, they should be dry within a few days. If you left the membranes, they will also be dry and can be discarded. I store my seeds wrapped in a dry paper towel, put in a labelled jar [close lid tightly], and then in the bottom of the refrigerator.

Next spring I will plant the plumpest seeds. If you are dubious about the seed quality, you can pre-sprout and then plant the best sprouts.

o

Hi, Leslie!
Meldy's instructions sound right on and are the way that I save my heirloom winter squash seeds, but I don't save my veggie spaghetti---'Orangetti', or this year, 'Hi-Beta Orange' seeds because they are hybrids. if you are growing the regular spaghetti squash, follow Meldy's instructions and you should be successful. However, if you are growing any hybrid squash, don't bother saving the seeds as they will not come true to type.

o

Also note that "sphagetti" squash are C. pepo and they cross readily with other members of the species like Crooknecks, patty pans, zucchini and pumpkins. Hand pollination and bagging of blossoms may be in order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here