Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_c

saving spaghetti squash seeds?

leslie_c
16 years ago

What is the best method for saving spaghetti squash seeds?

Comments (12)

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Be sure the squash is completely ripe. When you cut open the squash before cooking, scoop out the seeds and any attached membrane [around the seed]. DH rinses the membranes off, I don't. Spread the seeds flat onto several layers of newspaper with another couple pages over them to keep them in the dark. Check twice daily and remove any damp newspaper. Depending on ambiant humidity, they should be dry within a few days. If you left the membranes, they will also be dry and can be discarded. I store my seeds wrapped in a dry paper towel, put in a labelled jar [close lid tightly], and then in the bottom of the refrigerator.

Next spring I will plant the plumpest seeds. If you are dubious about the seed quality, you can pre-sprout and then plant the best sprouts.

• maggiejk
    15 years ago

Hi, Leslie!
    Meldy's instructions sound right on and are the way that I save my heirloom winter squash seeds, but I don't save my veggie spaghetti---'Orangetti', or this year, 'Hi-Beta Orange' seeds because they are hybrids. if you are growing the regular spaghetti squash, follow Meldy's instructions and you should be successful. However, if you are growing any hybrid squash, don't bother saving the seeds as they will not come true to type.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Also note that "sphagetti" squash are C. pepo and they cross readily with other members of the species like Crooknecks, patty pans, zucchini and pumpkins. Hand pollination and bagging of blossoms may be in order.

• captaindirt
    8 years ago

If I saved seed this year, cleaned and dried them. Can I sprout them to see the quality this year?

• captaindirt
    8 years ago

I guess what I'm asking is, do spaghetti squash seeds need to over winter before they will sprout or can I sprout them sooner?

• HU-597038
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I knew I'd be planting them soon, so after scooping them out and isolating the seeds (not membrane) I put them in a baggie with a wet paper towel for several days (I was out of town). Once I got home, I planted them and they're sprouting nicely. I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do, so I'm harvesting more seeds in case I need to replant. Of note - I live in Florida, so we have warm sunny weather year round...

• Connie Cranmer
    8 years ago

Thank you for all the great info. Now it's my turn to try growing some! ;)

• Connie Cranmer
    8 years ago

Think I could grow one plant from a big bucket?

• glacierguy
    7 years ago

I was wondering the same thing . I live in Alaska but building a hot House just to try to grow Spaghetti Squash . I'm sure it would be cheaper just to buy them but I'm bored .

• Penny Harrington
    7 years ago

I just took the seeds out of my spaghetti squash and want to plant them when it is warmer. I know how to dry them. How many seeds do I put per hole in my garden?

• Carmen Villalba
    6 years ago

Hi, a few weeks ago my sister and I bought and cooked a spaghetti squash. I set two aside in a little cup, and they're dry now. Do you think these are still good to plant? If so, when? I live in Arizona, so the coldest we really get is 45 degrees F. Could I plant these now, or should I wait until spring? We also don't really get a lot of rain during the winter (pretty much full sunlight). Additionally, how long do these take to mature? How soon should I expect to harvest them? Thanks, Carmen

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets