Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Norfolk Botanical Garden

JohnnieB
15 years ago

I just got back from the Southastern Palm Society meeting, which was hosted by the Norfolk Botanical Garden. How have I never heard of this place before!!??? This was one of the best botanical gardens I've visited, with lots of tropical and subtropical plantings, and I was very pleasantly surprised by how many palms they have planted there. The only downside was the traffic coming into town--route 64 was backed up for miles with people heading to Virginia Beach for the weekend. But otherwise it was well worth the trip (took me 6 hours coming from DC, but only 3 1/2 hours for the trip back!)--I would highly recommend visiting if you're ever in the area.

Comments (8)

• bubba62
    15 years ago

Hi Jonnieb-

I live 30 minutes away from the NBG, and had not visited in years, since it used to be basically a collection of azaleas, camellias, and rhodies, with very little else to recommend it. Early this summer I went on a kayak tour through the garden and was blown away by all the improvements, expansion, and variety of plant material. I wrote a blog entry about the trip at the url listed below.

You're right about the traffic, both coming from DC and heading east on 64 - it's a nightmare if you can't time it exactly right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog entry on NBG trip

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

I'm 5 min away, wife got a season pass this year. Highly recommended. Tons of different gardens, my kids love the WOW(kids garden) and the Japanese garden. I hate the traffic driving to DC as well.

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Garden pics are posted in my Flickr album--see link. Although the main focus was on palms, I took lots of photos of other plants as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norfolk Botanical Garden pics

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bubba62, thanks for the tour of the garden from a different perspective! I've heard many people say that the garden has come a long way in the last few years.

• Vanessa 8a
    15 years ago

Anyone know when they are having the herb festival??

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

John,

I would recommend you visit on March 28, 2009. That's when the camellias are at peak and the local Camellia Society will have its show and plant sale in the parking lot.

There's not as much traffic that time of year, no bugs, and the weather's great.

Though they have a lot of interesting plantings, the garden seemed to have been built around its camellia collection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Camellia Society

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

Hello Tidewater gardeners, garden enthusiasts, & visitors! I'm about 15 min. away from the NBG & I really love it! To me, it's one of the few really interesting places to visit in this area! The Japanese Garden is one my favorites. It is very well executed & has interest all year round.

Also, the NBG is a great place to get in a really good walk (when it's not too hot & humid.)

Have had a membership for the last 2 years which has been a great investment!

• spencersmom
    15 years ago

Hey everyone, not sure if you have heard but NBG has a couple bald eagle eggs now!

Here is a link to the real-time eagle cam. It is so cool.. I'm bookmarking as a favorite so I can peek in on mama from time to time.

Enjoy! ~Erin

Here is a link that might be useful: Eagle Cam

Sponsored