Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Successful bamboo killing (I think)

Posted by kimka z7 (jkkaplan@erols.com) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 10:20

I;ve come up with a new way to kill off bamboo, at least it was new to me.

I pulled up what I could without hurting myself. Then I cut all the bamboo stalks down to 6-12 inches.

Here was the new part. Then I filled all the hollow stubs with Green Light Cut Vine and Stump Killer. I refilled the stubs about a week later just to be sure. Green Light Cut Vine and Stump Killer (active ingredient Triclopyr, generic name Dowelanco brush and weed). The information on it says it will be translocated up to three feet with in the plants.

All of the stubs have rotted and I was able to pull up some more rhizome and they were all dead.

Green Light Cut Vine and Stmp killer does not list bamboo on its label, but it does list that it works on 60 plants including poison ivy.

I posted this here because of the long running thread on getting rid of bamboo.

Now the real test will be to see if anything comes up in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Successful bamboo killing (I think)

Congrats on your murder of Bamboo. However I must add that Triclopyr works solely by inactivating an enzyme essential for photosynthesis. I do not believe it has any activity on other tissues or systems of the plant. The makers like to suggest that it kills the roots. In reality, it simply starves the plant to its death by blocking its photosynthesis. It most certainly is a first class weed killer for Dicots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here