Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poor Melon/Canteloupe Pollination

Posted by harryvetch Cent.VA/ Zone 7 (harryvetch@aol.com) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 10:26

So far this year, my melon production is not where it was last year. The plants are healthy & looking great, but there are just not many fruit developing. I notice many small non pollinated fruit turning yellow & falling off.
The weather here in central VA has been quite hot, does that have an effect on the pollinators?
Just a thought/question for the future....Would it be a good idea to plant maybe a 4X4 area in the middle of my melon patch with clover, or some other flower that might attract bees? If clover, will it still be in bloom in July when I need it? I grow it every year as a winter cover crop, and it is in full bloom in early spring...
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Harry V

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poor Melon/Canteloupe Pollination

Actually, I suspect you've already figured out that pollination is the problem, more so than the heat. Hand pollinating might help you this year -- although IMO, that's a solution only for the small home crop! NTL, it really doesn't take all that long to do, it's just an achy-back chore. See link for details; if you aren't saving seed, skip the "close the female" step and just get busy with the male flower.

I suspect that you would be better off with a variety of bee-attracting flowers instead of a single square. Unless you're into large-machine agribusiness, monoculture is never a good idea in any category. However, if 4x4 is the only space you have, build it up into a small pyramid (to give you more surface planting area) and put in an assortment of long-flowering annuals; you *might* be able to find some now at a local nursery. Marigolds, salvias, and zinnias are the most carefree with long blooming periods. If you grow the melons on A-frames, trellis or fencing, next year try interspersing with vine beans such as fortex or scarlet runner (fortex is good eating, SR is pretty) or even a disease resistent lima such as fordhook. Beans are superb for attracting bees and will also act as nitrogen-fixers to enrich the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand-pollination

o

Thanks Meldy,
Didn't mean to put this in the VA Forum.
It's just a small home garden, I would guess my melon patch is about 20X20, 4 plants of 2 different varieties of cantaloupes & 2 watermelons. The flowers/clover would have been smack dab in the middle, just to get the bees in the area, then maybe they'd visit the melons.

Sure is hot for high noon out there!

Harry,
Sweating in Henrico

o

Why not in VA forum; you're here; we're here!

Hot up here too, feels worse than the thermometer says, humidity must be wa-a-a-y up!

For the fun of it:

http://web.live.weatherbug.com/Broadcaster/1/Home.aspx?zcode=z4798&list=1&lid=BSL

Put your city in the box to get a pretty good forecast:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecasts/VAZ053.php?warncounty=VAC059&city=Annandale

And since we are supposed to get some rain, some time, some where.... [Virginia is in the rightmost sector in the first row of regional sectors]

http://www.weather.gov/radar_tab.php

o

My cantaloupe are flowering like crazy but not making fruit. The bees have busy in the summer squash, although even that does not have as many fruit as I would expect. Does anyone know if having the melon and squash so close is making cross pollination problems that is keeping it sterile? I have not yet tried to self pollinate them (haven't had time after I'm done weeding).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here