Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellied_gw

Plant sources inVirginia/West Virginia

kellied
17 years ago

I really don't know if this is the proper forum to post to, so please excuse me if it isn't.

A friend of mine is relocating from the Oregon Coast to Bluefield, West Virginia in about three years and is wanting to know plant sources in the area other than Lowes and would love to hear from someone who gardens in that area. None of her neighbors are into gardening, so if anyone can help me out, I'll give her the information. Thanks! Kellie

Comments (8)

• slubberdegulion
    17 years ago

I can't personally recommend any West Va nurseries, and am not sure how far from Bluefield some of the ones in Va I've been to are. The 1st one I could think of in West Va is Sunshine farm in Renick, but they don't seem to get rave reviews.

Weird Dude's Plant Zoo is in Staunton, Va. They sell nice plants, but it would be a bit of a drive.

My suggestion is, if you haven't already, go to Garden Watchdog and use the search feature. You can select states and check out the ratings for different nurseries.

West Va is a gorgeous state with breathtaking vistas. I've passed through plenty of small towns that had yards full of plants, they must have local greenhouses somewhere.

• taxonomist
    17 years ago

The Weird Dude's Plant Zoo is possibly the best place on the east coast to find plants...any plant, and of the best quality.
    Sunshine Farms in Renick is a close second.
    I suspect, though, that there are several prety good nurseries near Blufield. Virginia Polytechnic Institute isn't so very far away. Someone there in the Hort. Dept. should have some very good suggestions.
    Good Luck!!!

• thurlowbrook
    17 years ago

Not sure how close Bluefield is to Winchester, VA, but there's a couple of great plant sales at the State Arboretum (Blandy Experimental Station) every spring and fall that she might want to check out. The spring sale is always held on Mother's Day Weekend and ArborFest is held usually the first weekend in October.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Sales at State Arboretum

• oliviaharis
    15 years ago

Virginia continues to be a leading importer of electricity, compared to other states. Building a "clean coal" plant such as the one in Wise County, is one way to serve more customers and do so with minimal environmental risk.
    -------------------------
    oliviaharis
    Virginia Treatment Centers

Here is a link that might be useful: Treatment Centers

• tom_va
    15 years ago

We have a small, family-owned greenhouse business in Bland County, which is real close to Bluefield. I can't say our name on here but if you want I'll post an email address where we can be reached and will supply the details then.

We have 4 greenhouses, one cold frame, and one basket house and have most everything except trees and shrubs. We do not carry soil, pots, mulch, tools and that kind of thing---only plants----baskets, herbs, bedding plants, perennials, veggies, ferns,etc.

If we can be of any help, let us know.

Regards,

Tom in VA

• kellied
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for responding, Tom. I'll be in West Virginia for a couple weeks the first part of September and will definitely look you up. I forwarded your post to my friend and will try emailing you for directions.

• tom_va
    15 years ago

Message received and directions sent and PLEASE, anyone else, if you email me, make sure you put something in the subject line that it is regarding Gardenweb.....otherwise, my spam control might place it in the junk folder. I almost deleted the email from kellied by mistake.

And if anyone has emailed me and I did not reply, please send another.

Regards,

Tom in VA

• maggiejk
    15 years ago

Hi,Kellie~
    I'm a member of WV Master Gardeners and sometimes get to attend our state conventions, where we meet gardeners from all over our state. They are dedicated gardeners, so would certain;y know where to get good plants (Tom's place sounds like a good start). I'm not sure that there's a MG group in Pocohontas County--think not, as I don't remember meeting anyone from there. So instead of contacting them, as I would here, I'd suggest your friend contact her county extension agent to ask him/her and also inquire about a Master Gardener program. There's a very actibve group down in Greenbriar County...Maggie

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions