Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbjust

Am I crazy to try bluegrass?

jbjust
17 years ago

I'm tempted to reseed this fall with a fescue/bluegrass blend. Does anybody have any experience with bluegrass in the Richmond Area? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Comments (3)

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

Probably. Summers are hard on bluegrass here. It's more successful farther west in the state, up in the Blue Ridge area. If you have a good sprinkler system you might have better success. If you use a blend and the bluegrass dies out, then you will have to overseed again. Nothing ventured, nothing gained though.

• taxonomist
    17 years ago

Bluegrass simply does not survive in these delightful Richmond summers. There are other grasses which look just as attractive and are able to withstand Richmond. Give "Rebel" a try!

• yankee_in_va
    17 years ago

I wouldn't go with 100% bluegrass around here, but since you are talking a blend with TTTF I think you have a potential for success, provided you can irrigate.

I have a strip of grass between my front walk and beds that I believe is KBG (boat shaped tips) and it does very well. It has very obvious rhizome activity and looks good, although it doesn't face 100% sun all day.

Personally, I am planning on overseeding in Sept. with the Rebel Extend blend. This is a mix of about 90% of two types of Rebel TTTF and about 10% Midnight KBG.

Over in the Lawn Care forum, you can read about a guy in GA who has had some degree of success with an area of Midnight KBG.

Sponsored