Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
California transplant seeks info

Posted by lios389 Va (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 18:05

I have spent the last 25 years gardening on the central coast of California. The Sunset Western Garden Book was our bible out there. Is there a "bible" for Eastern gardening? If anyone has any recommendations for books, publications, web sites etc... it would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: California transplant seeks info

Virginia Tech has loads of information in their publications available online. Here's a link...

Here is a link that might be useful: VA Tech publications index

o

Thanks - that is indeed a lot of info. It doesn't take much time to figure out that there will be a lot more bugs to learn about. I have already noticed that even though it may be hot as hades, things don't dry out as quickly as they do in the West. Though I also imagine that means more chance for diseases to take hold too.

o

Not sure what part of Virginia you're in. Here in northern Virginia we have northern and southern characteristics intermixed.
One book I've used for years is not regionally specific: Barbara Damrosch's Garden Primer. A recent acquisition that is currently my most-consulted is Tracy DiSabato-Aust's Well-Tended Perennial Garden.
Southern Living,the southern equivalent of Sunset, has an encyclopedic garden guide. Also look for Adrian Higgins, a Washington Post garden columnist. All should be available at your public library for evaluation.

You might enjoy books by Henry Mitchell, who wrote the Earthman column for many years, for a perspective on challenges of gardening here.

Green Spring Garden, a Fairfax County garden whose purpose is demonstrating what grows here, has an informative web site with lots of lists, including notes on how specific cultivars have fared. http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/gsgp/gardening.htm

o

You might be interested to know that even in Northern Virginia you can grow three types of palm trees-yes, palm trees outdoors. The dwarf palmetto (Sabal Minor), Needle Palm (Rhapidophylum histrix) and Windmill Palm-has up to a 20 foot trunk (Trachycarpus fortunei). We also can grow as a perrenial a cold hardy banana, Musa Basjoo. Check out my website as it might give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panama John's Tropical Zone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here