Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biddy67

Tomatoes Shrivelled Up and Die in Alexandria!

biddy67
15 years ago

I had such a good crop last year! This year, I planted 6 or so, and I did get a few decent tomatoes to date, nothing like last year, but plants are sagging and I think its all over for them. They get good sun 12-5pm and have been watered every 2 to 3 days. Have other gardeners experienced same this year?

Comments (5)

• sequi
    15 years ago

My crop did well in Fairfax. What's your soil like? If they are in the same place as last year, what did you do to replenish the soil?

I am mostly not in the clay that passes for soil around here. I'm in raised beds with about a foot of compost/peat/vermiculate on top of the clay.

Tomatoes were slow starting this year due to the cool spring, but they're pumping out now.

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

Between the Septoria Leaf Spot and the deer, it's been a pretty sad year for my tomatoes. The naughty but pretty critters plucked the green tomatoes off and dropped them on the ground earlier in the summer and the disease kept production way down. Next year if I get signs of it, I'll spray early and often. Don't like doing it but really like tomatoes so it's a balancing act.

• biddy67
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in the Mt. Vernon area. I have planted them in the same spot for years. This past season, enriched the soil with dried chicken manure and several bags of topsoil. I do fertilize regularly with MiracleGro or similar. Garden is raised some 8" or so. The plants are tall, but spindly, leaves turning yellow and the plant gradually dying. The grape tomatoes went soon after the first round of crop. Planted the usually, big boy, better boy types. I don't expect much from them from here on out. I was thinking maybe the heat was just too much for them this year. Also, I did have them on a drip hose last year which was a banner year, maybe I watered more regularly then, but those things don't seem to last very long at all. Seems like if you go a day without watering, they look pretty beat. On the other hand, the jalapenos and of course basil are coming along well. Green peppers so so, maybe two per plant.

• twila_2008
    15 years ago

Tomato plants do not like too much water hitting their leaves and they die off earlier than usual if a wet year, which we have had this year. Although, my son sent me some "Tree Tomatoes" he bought out of a catalog and they are doing great. Go figure! Ground water, no sprinklers! It hasn't been that hot here this year, only a couple of over 90 weeks. Heat over 90, I water daily; otherwise, every other day. Also, if you are a smoker, wash your hands before touching tomato plants, they don't like it and can shrivel up, look sickly. I also like Miracle Grow for veggies. You can use about 1/4 cup Epsom Salt to a 5 gallon bucket, dissolved, and water/feed them. Roses LOVE this mixture. Water it down a little more, but not too much or else you'll water the 'food' past the roots. Do not fertilize gardens until AFTER the plants begin to bloom - they will bloom earlier.

• bobbic
    15 years ago

Mine did the same thing, and now I know it was because I used the sprinkler to water them. Thank you for the information! :)