Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Container Garden

Posted by hemphill VA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 08 at 19:05

I am interested in starting a winter container garden. Can anyone give me some plant ideas. I would prefer no berry plants because I have a puppy who eats everything, and I don't want her to get sick.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Container Garden

Container gardening is so convenient that it's surprising that more people don't take it up. A wide variety of vegetables, herbs and fruit can be grown in pots. Herbs are the most popular, followed by vegetables. People don't choose to grow fruit in containers as frequently as the other edible plants, perhaps because it's considered to be too difficult.
--------------------------
oliviaharis
Virginia Drug Treatment

o

I got a book out of the library called Container Gardening, maybe you could see if your library has it? I haven't tried much of it, although my friend grows herbs in her window year round :)

o

Try cold tolerant vegs such as broccoli, kale (which seems to survive any temperature), or collards. That way you can have your greenery and eat it too. If you can provide protection (such as insulating the base pot and tossing a couple layers of row cover over the top) whenever the temperture drops below freezing, many types of spinach, lettuce, and mach will produce all winter.

A general rule of thumb (r-e-a-l general) for overwintering in pots is to choose those plants which are tolerant to at least one zone colder than your area. And even so, very few will accept having their root systems frozen (when planted in the ground the surrounding soil acts as insulation). So if your plant is tolerant to zone 6 while you want the pot in zone 7, it will do okay as long as the *root system* is insulated so the roots don't get frozen. Remember that even in winter, pots will need to be watered regularly.

o

I second the suggestion of mache. It does beautifully in cold weather around here, with a little protection.

A great book about winter vegetable gardening is Eliot Coleman's Four Season Harvest. His basic principles (planting time, care, protection) can be scaled down from full size garden bed to containers.....

I have friends in the Harrisonburg area who grow spinach under light protection every winter. There's nothing like picking fresh young spinach leaves on a snowy February day! Yum, yum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here