Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Locust Trees

Posted by babywatson 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 19:06

Do any of you Virginians even have them? I live in Virginia and grew up with them in southern New Jersey. I've also seen them in Orlando, Florida, but they seem to be conspicuously absent from Virginia. Why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Locust Trees

If you mean Black Locust trees (Robinia pseudoacacia) there are plenty of them in Northern Virginia. I have one in my front yard that I let grow that's about 20 feet tall or so. The trouble with them is that they're coming up all over my yard now. They put out root suckers everywhere. They bloom in May and the flowers smell wonderful. I used to always pick some from trees I spotted while driving around. The one in my yard doesn't seem to bloom much though. All in all I'm sorry I let it grow.

o

And Collectordi has the general feeling about locusts... they attempt to multiply faster than dust bunnies, so folks that have them often get rid of them after a few years.

Watch as you drive in the countryside, and you'll often see them in mixed groves with sassafras, poplars, and other deciduous trees.

o

I love them. I love their leaves, and the pinky flowers that form in the summer. I wish I had some by me in Manassas. All we seem to have out here is an abundance of black oak trees. They drop acorns like gangbusters every other year or so. Makes walking barefoot difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here