Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loropetalum

Posted by pegwrite z7MD (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 8:25

I am thinking of planting a loropetalum bush but I know it is considered a southern bush, hardy to zone 7. I live in zone 7 and was concerned that it may die over the winter. Has anyone in Virginia, especially northern virginia, had any experience with these plants?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loropetalum

i'm heading into my first winter with two purple loropetalum ZhouZho hybrid. i put them in VERY early last "spring" - first of March actually. They weathered a freak late snowfall on Saint Patrick's day - blooms and all. They are in all the garden center here (richmond) so i hope they last a cold winter. I have seen them around my neighborhood, so i believe they will be ok. good luck.

o

Mine are heading into their third winter; I'm in zone 7 SE Virginia. They're fine; go ahead and plant them in the fall.

o

Almost forgot...while they're young/small, after it snows go out and shake it off so the branches don't break or split under the weight of the snow.

o

When I lived in N. Al (also zone 7) we used them a lot as landscaping shrubs. Other than ice damage a few times they did very well there so I don't see any reason why they would not do well here either. I prefer to plant all shrubs and trees in the fall so the roots have a good chance to growing before the summer heat sets in. I learned in college that roots grow in winter, tops/blooms/fruit in summer so I have always done this.

o

I live in No. Va. (inner Fairfax County) and have had good luck with purple loropetalum. No special winterizing treatment other than a layer of shredded leaf mulch.

Filbert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here