Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody leaving their dahlias/hibiscus outside this Winter?

Posted by pulldownclaw 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 10:43

Hi,
I live in Richmond and am wondering if I can plant my dahlias and hibiscus in the ground for the winter. I would try to put them in a Southern facing area with some protection. Anybody tried this with any luck? BTW, the hibiscus was bought from Lowes (no good info on the tag of course), not sure what kind it is, but I think it is the tropical kind and it says hardy to 30 degrees.

Thanks,
Noah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody leaving their dahlias/hibiscus outside this Winter?

I have overwintered dahlias for the past 9-12 years here in Western VA. I mound dry leaves over the dahlias after a hard frost and place a bag of leaves or tomato cage over the leaves to hold them in place. Usually have nearly one foot of leaves by end of winter from 18" or so placed there in the fall. I have also set a bale of straw/hay over the dahlia roots.

o

I doubt the Tropical Hibiscus would make it, but I leave my dahlias in the ground all winter and have never lost any except for an unusually wet winter when some of them rotted. I have perennial Hibiscus here and they do well all winter. I mulch everything here with pine straw since we have a lot of pine trees on the middle peninsula

o

I started leaving my dahlias in the ground 2 years ago--mostly because I simply didn't have time to lift and store them. Not only did they come back, but they grew faster and larger than the new dahlias I planted nearby.

I have heard, however, that the weather pattern for this winter looks like colder temps and more snow so I'll be sure to add an extra layer of leaf mulch for protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here