Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell peppers are blooming again

Posted by fritz_monroe 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 15:40

I did a container garden this year. The bell pepper that we planted was Keystone resistant peppers. We had a good harvest, but only had 4 peppers on each plant. I think this was because I had them crowded.

But I've grown enough jalapenos for the year, so I cut those back. Well the jalapenos must have been crowding the bells. Because the bell peppers have really taken off. I now have 18 peppers starting on that Keystone resistant plant. These are from blooms that won't open for a week, up to peppers about 1" across.

I think that I'll be pinching off some of them so the others have enough nutrients. But maybe not since this is the only plant in the 18 gallon tote.

Anyone else have a second harvest coming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell peppers are blooming again

For me, harvest doesn't stop until a killing frost smashes the plants! There is a relation between enough space (ah, yours sound happy not to be so crowded) and the number of peppers. Since my peppers are garden-planted, the affecting relationship concerns water -- if they suffer drought, they will pause producing until they are re-moisturized.

You can extend the harvest by wrapping a couple layers of row cover around them whenever frost is expected. Or bring the pot indoors to a sunny window.

A while back on another forum, folks were comparing notes about overwintering peppers. The consensus is that with bright light, they make interesting house plants, but won't continue to bloom unless they can have a south window, lots of warmth, and additional fluorescents. Picky plants. Anyhow, the thing to note is that most (all?) peppers are perennials and can be replanted into the garden next spring, and will start producing peppers much more quickly than a baby plant.

o
RE: Bell peppers are blooming again

Yep, I plan to overwinter several of my peppers. I think the jalapenos, tabascos and cayennes will be overwintered.

I'm going to pinch off some of the blooms to let the plant put some effort into the peppers themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here