Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
encore azalea care

Posted by marciab900 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 18:31

Hi There,

I am new to Virginia as of last fall. Formally in South Dakota. Such a change!!! Love the weather and the foliage. Live near Williamsburg. I planted 20 Autumn Emburs Encore Azaleas last fall. All has gone well. They are in full sun until late afternoon and receive drip irrigation twice weekly. All are in bloom now, but 5 of them have yellow leaves and look scraggly. All receive the same care. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: encore azalea care

Are the sickly ones all together or scattered throughout? Has anything been sprayed in the area (including by neighbors) that could have drifted to them? Are they close to thirsty trees or other shrubs that could have taken water and nutrients away? What do the leaves look like besides yellowing... any spots, "dirt" on them, signs of spiderweb like stuff? Can you post pictures?

Answers to these will help but the best way to get a diagnosis is to take samples to your local cooperative extension office and let them look at them. Don't spray or otherwise treat them until you know for sure what's going on.

Good luck. I love my Encores.

Sandy

o
RE: encore azalea care

I have encore also. I had about 8 at my inground pool. They were in full sun. They looked awful. They would not bloom, they looked like they were about to die. The nursery where I got them at said get them out of the full sun. So I dug them up and planted them in part sun/ part shade. They are so much better now. She also told me to sprinkle some Hollytone around them and they bloomed.It was to hot for them in full sun. CeeCee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here