Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggie_pak

Growing Chayote in Virginia

veggie_pak
13 years ago

Has anyone had any good luck growing chayote in Virginia's climate? If so, when does it fruit?

Thanks,

veggie_pak

Comments (3)

• taxonomist
    13 years ago

to Vegie Pak: Chayote just doesn't grow well here in central Virginia. I believe the growing season is much too short. I know the folks in the Gulf states have amazing luck as do those in So. Calif. If you live near the ocean in zone 8a, chayote should be a pushover. An acquaintance in coastal SC grows chayote every year. It is quite tasty!!!

• veggie_pak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hard to believe, but a couple days after I posted the question, the plant started fruiting! Today, it has developing fruits all over it. In the meantime, I read that if you are in a warm winter climate, it can be a perrenial if properly cared for. Since I live in Zone 8a, I'm going to try to follow the exact directions to ensure that it comes back strong next year. Maybe then it would produce fruit sooner, as the roots will be thoroughly established. I hope so anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

veggie_pak

• pzierz
    11 years ago

Hello All, I'd love to grow Chayote here in Raleigh, NC. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance, Peter

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor