Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Active Fall and Winter Organic Vegetable Gardening

Posted by veggie_pak 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 30, 10 at 10:36

Is anyone else working their vegetable garden through fall and winter? I have mine ready to go. If you're interested, you can visit my blog to see what I have been doing with my vegetable garden since Memorial Day of this year. Currently, I have harvested 1,364 pounds of produce from my vegetable garden this year. From this year's harvest, I have 159 jars of canned organic produce. I just picked 4 and one half pounds of snap beans and I am going to can them this morning.

http://www.backyardorganicvegetables.blogspot.com/

Happy vegetable gardening!

Veggie PAK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Active Fall and Winter Organic Vegetable Gardening

Where in Virginia are you? I live close to Annapolis, Maryland. I grew a very successful garden this year using no chemicals. However, I have nothing in the garden now. Can you suggest some ideas? I have some coriander seedlings in the garden bed. Pl let me know what can be grown in the fall so that atleast next year I can use ths knowledge. Thank you...Indu Modali

o

Call or go to your area garden centers and ask if they have broccoli, collard, Brussels sprout or swiss chard plants still for sale. If they do, pick up a sufficient number to fill your garden space. I grew all of those last winter, through snow and cold weather. They are cool weather crops.

Good Luck! Let me know how you make out with it.

Thanks for your message.

veggie_pak

o
RE: my location

Sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. I am by Norfolk, VA. by the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay.

Thanks,
veggie_pak

o

Veggie_pak has a great garden and very impressive results. Anybody in the mid-atlantic, particularly the tidewater area should, should look to his blog for advice and ideas. I also maintain a gardening blog. I'm in Newport News, VA and I'm trying to grow fall/winter hardy crops like kale, chard, carrots, garlic, onions, etc. My blog is:
http://point09acres.blogspot.com
Please visit my blog as well as veggie_pak's. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Here is a link that might be useful: .09 Acres

o

I've been reading Eliot Coleman's books Winter Harvest Handbook and Four Season Harvest, so I'm inspired to garden in the winter months, although I didn't pull anything together for this year. I got a little cold frame but I did something wrong, because I had sprouts but they didn't grow much bigger than that. I think I got the venting wrong and steamed the poor things :(

Time to go check out your blogs! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My rarely updated garden blog

o

FYI...Eliot Coleman will be a featured speaker at the annual Virginia Association for Biological Farming in February.

Here is a link that might be useful: VABF Annual Conference 2011

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here