Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can county provided leaf mulch be used as top soil in Lawn?

Posted by imember (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 12:52

Hi,
I am in Alexandria, VA. area and was wondering if county provided leaf mulch usually free to pick up or deliver for around $40.00 can be used as top soil in front lawn? I have an existing lawn and was going to aerate it. Should I go ahead and spread some of this county provided leaf mulch on top of the lawn as top soil?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can county provided leaf mulch be used as top soil in Lawn?

Leaf mulch is not the same thing as topsoil. But most lawns can use the addition of organic matter such as the mulch will provide. Just be sure you add a thin layer, no more than a half inch or so, or you might smother the grass. If you add it after you core aerate, some will trickle down into the holes and be very beneficial. Be sure to pick out any large pieces or trash since most municipal mulch is not terribly fine and often has non-organic bits in it.

o
RE: Can county provided leaf mulch be used as top soil in Lawn?

Thanks for your response. It is helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here