Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlieboring

Paw Paw and Gojiberry Seedlings

Charlie
9 years ago

I have a couple of paw paw seedlings and two gojiberry seedlings for trade with another northern Virginia gardener. If interested, email me.

Comments (16)

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

Hey there! Where did you find pawpaws In Virginia? I live in Fairfax and I can not for the life of me find Pawpaws here.

• OrangePoppy
    9 years ago

When will you plant them if they do survive the winter, and where? I saw them often along the Appalachian trail this past fall, but they were always near the rivers. I'd LOVE to have a Paw Paw, but we don't have a creek or anything near our yard.

• Charlie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OrangePoppy - I have two paw paw trees planted in my back yard. I have read that although paw paw trees are an understory tree, they make better fruit if they get good sun. During the first two years, some say that you should shade them. I did not shade mine and they seemed to do just fine. With regard to water, here in Northern VA I water them (along with my other fruit trees) when it is dry for a long period. When I planted them, I improved the soil in the hole by mixing in compost. My trees are in their 4th year and are about 3 feet tall, so they do not grow fast nor become extremely large. If my paw paw seedlings survives the winter, if you send me an email I will try to save one for you. You will need another of a different species for pollination.

This post was edited by CharlieBoring on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 7:15

• williebirdie
    9 years ago

Edible Landscape down in Afton, VA sells Paw Paws. I bought two for my back yard (not near water) but the dang deer have devastated one of them!! Everything I read said that you need two to pollinate, different species.

• Shawnee
    8 years ago

Edible Landscaping will have them - http://ediblelandscaping.com/

We've bought quite a number of edibles from Michael.

• epicentre
    8 years ago

I have plenty of paw paws, I live in central VA if anyone is interested!

• williebirdie
    8 years ago

Epicenter, I Am interested as the deer have demolished one of my two trees. Where are you located?

• epicentre
    8 years ago

Louisa Co., VA-between Charlottesville and Richmond.

• williebirdie
    8 years ago

How much? Do you mail? I am in prince William county.

• epicentre
    8 years ago

No charge! I can mail some, but would prefer to hand deliver. Bear in mind this would have to be done in the Spring and there's no guarantee they will bear fruit. The plant has incredible foliage and is lovely to look at! The plant would be 6-8" high, not much success in moving 12" high or higher...long tap root. BTW the fruit tastes like banana custard.

• williebirdie
    8 years ago

Ok, thanks for the info! Not sure if/when I would be in your area in the Spring. Will get back in touch. Thank you.

• epicentre
    8 years ago

I travel back and forth to NVA so I could rendezvous w/you and deliver them. Keep in touch. Thanks!

• williebirdie
    8 years ago

OK, will do. Thank you!!

• cghpnd
    8 years ago

If you have extra buy the time you come to Nova, I would surely love some. I love the fruit and i like that taste. My friend gave me a fruit a while ago.. So yummy. I bought seedlings but... they died :( I believe it was my fault thought, not the companies.

• Charlie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All - I have 4 gojiberry bushes that I have rooted in pots. I would like to trade them for a passion fruit vine that I can grow in a pot or anything else that is interesting. If interested email me at ctboring@yahoo.com.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets