Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any mildew problems with Solidago in Central VA?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 21:05

I'm thinking of planting Solidago Golden Fleece but read it can get mildew. It shows up in my garden by July or August on Red Cone flowers. Others that I've written to on the "Perennial" forum don't seem to have a problem with this on their Solidago, but they don't live in hot and very humid Central Virginia.

I live within three miles of the Blue Ridge and we don't get much rain in July or August so I'm looking for a drought tolerant 24" to 30" yellow flowering perennial. The sun in these months is intense and my garden faces south with absolutely no shade. Rudbekia 'Goldstrum' flops the second day after a good watering.

Bluestone has a very pretty Heliopsis called Midwest Dreams, that I'm really tempted to try, but it's a little taller than I'd like. It seems as though it's leaves are smaller than Goldstrum's, so probably loses less water.

I'd sure like to know how your Solidago holds up against mildew in VA and if Heliopsis can take the heat. I'd sure like to find the right plant this time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any mildew problems with Solidago in Central VA?

I do not know about the two plants that you mentioned, but we put in dianthus this summer and it is doing great. It is very heat and drought tolerant, not very tall, and absolutely no trouble with mildew. And we've had a lot of trouble with mildew in Richmond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here