Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Any mildew problems with Solidago in Central VA?

summerstar
15 years ago

I'm thinking of planting Solidago Golden Fleece but read it can get mildew. It shows up in my garden by July or August on Red Cone flowers. Others that I've written to on the "Perennial" forum don't seem to have a problem with this on their Solidago, but they don't live in hot and very humid Central Virginia.

I live within three miles of the Blue Ridge and we don't get much rain in July or August so I'm looking for a drought tolerant 24" to 30" yellow flowering perennial. The sun in these months is intense and my garden faces south with absolutely no shade. Rudbekia 'Goldstrum' flops the second day after a good watering.

Bluestone has a very pretty Heliopsis called Midwest Dreams, that I'm really tempted to try, but it's a little taller than I'd like. It seems as though it's leaves are smaller than Goldstrum's, so probably loses less water.

I'd sure like to know how your Solidago holds up against mildew in VA and if Heliopsis can take the heat. I'd sure like to find the right plant this time.

Comment (1)

Sponsored