Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with tuberrose

Posted by decogrl NOVA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 6:50

I bought a tuberrose from a local nursery and want to know what to do with it over the winter. It is from Homestead Gardens and was told it is borderline hardy. Anyone have experiences with them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with tuberrose

I've grown tuberose in Vienna, VA for about 4yrs now. Mine have been dug up and will be spending the winter in the crawl space. The only plants I love enough to do this for year after year are tuberose and dahlias.

Although I have occasionally forgotten a dahlia or two and they have come up again next year just fine, I've never had that experience with tuberose. If they've had to winter over in the cold cold ground, they've just disappeared.

All of my warmer micro-climate spaces are occupied by camellias figs persimmons etc, so it's possible that I have places warm enough for them to winter over...if the winter is mild enough.... I'll be interested to see if anyone is able to leave them in the ground successfully.

o

Anything special I need to do like clean off dirt and store them the same way as a dahlia?

Just curious because whatever I do will need to be done before tonight as the temps are expected to drop.

Thanks---I was hoping I would not have to move them indoors as I already have about 20 other tropical plants I had to move in.

o

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 7:45

Other than just brushing off the dirt I've never given them much thought. They are not as troublesome to store as dahlias.

o
RE: What to do with tuberrose again

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 7:52

The crawl space is dark and evenly cool-cold all winter. I don't know if they would do well in the living areas of a house. Has anyone stored them in other conditions?

o

I think you need to keep them from freezing. I grow mine in pots, so just move the pots to the garage. Stop watering; they dry up and go dormant. They'll start to grow again by maybe around April or May. Increase water and move outdoors when whether is warm. I've never planted them in the ground. Do they do better in ground than in a pot?

o

Five years ago I bought 3 bulbs at the NC state fair and they have greatly multiplied, but only 2 have ever bloomed. I've dug them up to store in the basement and then also left them in the ground but nothing works. What might be wrong? I'm in Danville right on the southern border of VA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here