Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I still transplant irises in November?

Posted by sharingsunshine zone7/VA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 5, 09 at 11:41

A friend shared some irises with me a couple wks back and we've had a bunch of rain and then company and then preparing for a trip and then the trip ... and you know how that goes.

Anyway, it's now Nov. 5 and I'm wondering if it's too late to put them in the ground. They've been outside in a bag under the eaves of the roofline.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I still transplant irises in November?

I forgot to mention I'm east of Charlottesville. We've not had a frost yet.

o

It's definitely not the season for planting them but they aren't going to do anything in that bag under the eaves. I say go ahead and put them in but consider mulching them lightly. Then in early spring pull the mulch off them since the tubers need to have some exposure.

This is just MHO. Someone over on the iris forum might have a better idea. Link is below.

Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Forum

o

Thanks. I had posted on the iris forum ... but on an old post about when to plant. Should've done a new post. Anyway, my hubby stuck them in yesterday. As you say, we'll see. They're mulched with leaves. Thanks!

o

yes, they will be fine, just water them when they are put in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here