Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grown Oregano Kent Beauty?

Posted by decogrl (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 8, 06 at 11:14

I just purchased 4 plants and it says they are tender perrenials. I plan to keep them in my sunroom. I am in Northern VA. When is it safe to put them out spring or summer? What are the ideal growing conditions? I have seen these in pictures in containers and they look sooo pretty. Thought I'd give them a shot since I got them 1/h price.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grown Oregano Kent Beauty?

Well, nobody else is going to jump in, so... I bought some 'Kent Beauty' this spring and planted it along a retaining wall and a narrow sloping bed. So, I don't know how it'll do in the long run.

I thought it was hardy here, but may be mistaken. I'm sure you already know that you can do a web search for it. Lots of on-line nurseries sell it and they all seem to have different things to say about it.

I do know that mine suffered when I planted it. The weather was dry and the plants wanted more water than I was able/willing to haul out to them. However, once they began to establish themselves they weathered the droughty conditions just fine.

A few plants that received less than full sun (due to overshadowing by larger plants) didn't do as well as the ones that did.

I suppose I'll wait and see if they come back up this spring.

kent

o

Do come back to this post and let us know if they made it through the winter. Did you mulch extra-heavily? I've always considered it too tender to overwinter here, and maybe I should have been more willing to try it -- of course, the many rosemary plants that have succombed in my garden do leave me a bit dubious about similar 'tender perennial' herbs. The only things I know for sure is that in my garden, they require extra-efficient drainage (and the extra watering that is in conjunction) and full sun.

o

Will do, one clump is actually below/around a rosemary (which does well here believe it or not).

I haven't mulched because tunic flower clumps and alpine strawberries are the other ground cover plants in the retaining wall bed, both expire quickly if covered over. The other border bed is somewhat mulched by plant matter that I'll leave until spring, maybe there will be a difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Virginia Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here