Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

A great resource on vermicomposting

I was fortunate to have access to this book on vermicomposting through the local public library. They got it on interlibrary loan. What a treasure trove of information on this topic we are all doing.

Comments (4)

• buckstarchaser
    11 years ago

Only a hundred bucks to buy it... Does it contain much info that is unavailable on the internet?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

Note the poster used the words "fortunate to have access to this book" and "interlibrary loan". To get access to this book that I have not read yet have zero doubt is a "treasure trove of information" for vermicomposters, do not pay $100. Visit your public library and as the poster suggested ask the front desk to order it for you from another library. They would be ever so happy if you did this. If that does not work visit, e-mail, or call a state college library in your state with your state ID. Ask at the front desk if they can get it for you and if you as a citizen of the state can take it out. Or check Amazon.com for a used copy, maybe for $10? It seems to maybe be a college text. Maybe one of those sell your college text here places might have it for $20. If that does not work post here again and somebody else with have even better ideas than me. Nobody should be paying $100 for the book unless they have a worm business or are way into the hobby and want to keep it around the worm office for reference. No doubt the other two names are way famous wormies too but I am thinking Clive A. Edwards is the big wormie now a days. I could be wrong. This is probably doctorate level and commercial production level stuff. You guys can handle it. Reading here was your worms 101. This is what the big boys read. This is the stuff people read and then it filters down to our forum level. Thus we had Kelly who explained all this higher research level stuff to us from even some of her own research. Possibly, sometimes people on a forum will work on new techniques and it will get tested by somebody working on a Masters or Doctorate level degree. I could be wrong and if somebody posts a correction to this I agree with them in advance. Great post.

Oh and thank you for taking the time to put up a picture of the cover of the book. It lent a good quality to the post to see the artwork.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 1:03

• buckstarchaser
    11 years ago

It is being sold on amazon as a college book for just under $100 new or just over $100 used. You can "rent" it for about $60 bucks for a few months though... That burned my muffins reading about book rental.

The question in my previous post left out the fact that I read and understood the entirety of the original post. I was also probing for additional subjects to investigate since I doubt that any particular subject in the book can not be reconstructed with some quality search engine time. Of course there is the ever-looming specter of original and unreprinted research, being a college text about a fringe science. I blew about $100 on a two college book set for the topic of permiculture and it had stuff I couldn't even obtain from the popular books or long sessions of internet searching.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I discovered that quite a few chapters from the book may be found at certain authors' web sites, all for free. I like free. Interlibrary loan service at the public library is free. All you have to do is give the librarian the title of the book, author, year of publication and publisher, plus maybe the ISBN, all which may be found at amazon.com for the book. I got the book quickly after putting in my request. The library tapped the local Land Grant university and I got the book for 30 days. Free. The public library I use is a small place, yet they have access to many many libraries in the great state of Delaware and if necessary across the USA. I keep the reference desk librarian busy hahaha.

I like to read these books, which are meant to be reference books that serve as a summary of the scientific literature for the topic of each chapter. I groove out on doing research on a topic by reading publications, thus teaching myself. I especially like reading the methods used for evaluating the effects of vermicompost on growth of certain plants, or on how resistance to pests occurs when using vermicompost in the potting medium. I can then think of ways to try out some of the results that worked well in growing my own container plants.

It keeps me off the street.