Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Great Thing About Worms Is

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 2:21

When you want a pet they are right there to play with. And when you don't want a pet just ignore them. Even for a month. This is especially handy if you have to travel a lot. To extend the time between feeding put in kitchen waste whole without chopping or blending or freezing. Then the worms can feed on new food every day as the decomposition process makes the food available. Of course add tons of bedding. This way even feeding once a month will work. That is actually the great thing about worms. Want fun... they are there to play with. Want to be left alone for months... no problem. They are there when you are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Great Thing About Worms Is

And you don't have to walk them, lol.

o

Wormers enjoy scoopin' their poop!

(A stroll through some of our local parks shows that some dog owners lack the same enthusiasm with their pets).

o

They live a great lifestyle: eat, poop, sex, leave the world a little better place. Perpetually productive, perpetually chill. We humans could learn a lot from worms.

o

This is a great post! Worms changed my life. Everything I plant now really grows. My soil is dark and rich, with lots of nutrients. I feel good about recycling so much stuff; newspaper, cardboard, food scraps from two families, leaves, etc. I don't have to turn a compost pile ever again. I'm never bored with worming. I can use it as an excuse to get out of doing things because I have to feed the worms, shred paper, tear cardboard, etc.. I meet new people, nice people, all the time that have worms. I learn something new about the worms all the time.
Kath

o

they make a nice snack too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8085804.stm

:)

o

You can keep them in a small space. They will consume kitchen waste all year (no major slow down for winter - they do move slower when cold). If you have a big enough herd they will consume your waste paper and junk mail and no one is taping credit card offers back together to steal your identity after the worms work it over :)
The castings are a fantastic part of seed starting, potting mixes and outdoor soil amendment.
You can start small, cheap or even free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here