Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latebloomer23

Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex

latebloomer23
9 years ago

Hello all,
This is my first post in this forum so I hope I'm doing everything right...
Anyway I'm totally stumped on this and I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight.
I have allergies{{gwi:807}} and super sensitive skin so I use Puffs Plus with Lotion{{gwi:807}} tissues, it's one of those few things I waste for my own well being even though I feel bad about it. Well I don't go through a ton of paper products or get the newspaper so I rarely have paper products to put in my worm bin. The one paper product I always have available is used tissues... I wouldn't hesitate to put used tissues in my worm bin if they were just regular tissues, but the ones I usually use have "lotion", I don't really get how they make them lotiony or so super soft and my nose loves them so I don't care, but can whatever it is that makes them "lotion" tissues cause problems for my worms? I doubt it's organic whatever it is...
Anybody have any insight? I've looked all over the internet{{gwi:807}} and can't come up with a clear answer. I see tissues listed as appropriate to add, I see Kleenex{{gwi:807}}, used tissues, used Kleenex, but never anything about lotion tissues.
I'd love some help :)
Thanks.
Also wondering if anybody has added found earthworms to their red wiggler bins and what they noticed if anything.

This post was edited by latebloomer23 on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 7:13

Comments (6)

• renais1
    9 years ago

We put in the used lotion tissues without any problem at all. They disappear in a very short time. Most of our bins have both night crawlers and red wigglers in them. The area I started some of my bins had night crawlers left to grow as fishing bait. Over time, they have colonized quite a few of the bins, and often seem to do well in them. In a richly fed bin that is not turned or disturbed too often I often find some huge worms.
    Renais

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Ignore the text on the link. The second and third picture on this page have a possible ingredient list of lotion tissues: http://foodbabe.com/2012/04/09/its-allergy-season-are-you-using-toxic-tissues/ The list would not cut and paste and I can't type all those long words.

Because you "rarely have paper products to put in my worm bin" it is 50/50 to use them or not. Your choice.

Maybe if you look around some other carbon sources will appear. After a while vermicomposers start looking at all items as either nitrogen, carbon or as a possible bin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Same Lotion Tissue Link As Above

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 9:59

• charitycomposter
    9 years ago

I'd be less concerned with the lotion in the tissue than the pathogens in the blown mucus. Why is that not a concern?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

To paraphrase Chucke,

If it came out of the far side of a worm it is edible.

Or something like that.

I think studies have shown the bathroom door handle many grab to leave the bathroom and the water faucet handle one turns off after washing contains more germs than the inside of the inside of the toilet bowl that is frequently rinsed with cold, fresh water.

Human bodies are designed to fight germs. If there are no germs to fight the body finds something to fight even if there is only itself to fight against. Doctors have helped some people by giving them capsules of microbes in waste of healthy individuals to replace what has been lost due to antibiotics.

"pathogens in the blown mucus" are not a concern in the worm bin. They, if any, would be quickly over run by a bevy of mystery organisms, some better, maybe even some worse.

Having unvacinated children who have spent time in the non tourist, i.e. way non sterile areas, living as part of indigenous families in a few cities in each of the countries of Japan, China, India, Turkey, the country of South Africa and even Disney Land, where we were banking on chicken pox but failed.

I would feel comfortable with the the mucus of these tissues in my bin. The dioxide bleached fibers? Runs away in horror.

But then again. Once a worm eats the bleached fibers ... I'll maybe run slower.

• Latebloomer23
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your responses! I was having problems logging back in as latebloomer23 so I signed in using Facebook.

I think for now I'll stay away from the lotion tissues in the bin. I wouldn't be worried about putting my regular clear snot into the bin, maybe if I was ill, but even then... I think anything that comes out of us (not including anything in the digestive system) would be safe for the bin, even urine when diluted can be added I read, but I'll respectively decline doing that myself :)

Again, thank you all for the advice!