Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kalc_gw

Newbie Here!

kalc
13 years ago

Hello All - First, I've been reading the forum for a couple months now and want to thank everyone for the interesting posts and helpful tips.

I started a Rubbermaid bin last summer, and things appear to be going okay (still get weird looks from the Mrs.!). I live in Tampa and had to adjust for the heat, but now everything is moving along.

I was looking for a new project and thought about upgrading the plastic tub when I came across this design. Sorry if this was already discussed, but I would like to get your collective thoughts about this:

http://www.ecoyardfarming.com/ezwormcomposter/

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Comments (6)

• fam62cc
    13 years ago

I think it would probably work fine. I'm not much of a builder myself. If you are I would suggest you try it. It certainly won't cost much. I'm a COW person myself. I have 4 complete sets going but as the man points out, I'm getting a little tired of shifting trays around and I would like to try something new. Keep us advised.

Dave Nelson

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ecoyardfarming.com/ezwormcomposter/

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

For $10 it is not like they charged $150. So the worst it could be is a tiny rip off and a waste of time and materials. The idea sounds good. The idea of a little bench sounds good when the lid is in the top section. They had access to a video yet just showed a static picture with words for an item that moves to keep things that wiggle. I wanted to see rolling, I wanted to see harvesting, I wanted to see wiggling. Of course for the $ they only send a pile of files. The words that stand out are the worms "usually" seperate avoiding "tortuous worm seperation" hahaha. I don't know about providing "gentle stimulation" to my worms to encourage "wink, wink" reproduction. If there is a knob in the middle of the seat it can't really be a bench. I'm sure in with all that paperwork they have an offer to sell some worms to fill the brand new bin.

• pjames
    13 years ago

I saw the video of how it works and my own opinion is that you can do the same thing with a 5 gallon bucket. You still have to harvest/separate the worms from the denser VC on the bottom. It is nice looking and having seen it, you can make your own or a similar thing.

Another problem I see is you almost have to harvest it where it sits or where it rolls over to. It is probably too heavy to to pick up and move. If you had it on your patio, then it might be ok... Actually you would have to have it on your patio or someplace where any water or VC leakage will not do damage.

Still I have to give kudos to the designer. I like to see people think about what works for them and then build it.

• susanfromhawaii
    13 years ago

I would think harvesting from a flow through would be much easier than this design. As you roll it, the different layers are going to get mixed up. Not that th worms care, but you won't be able to harvest as much of the contents at a time since some of the done VC will be mixed in with other stuff. The ad says it's advantage over a ft is you can see the stuff you're harvesting - so what? I think the rolling will also mix the worms in and make separation of VC from worms harder, not easier than a ft. Below is a link to a list of links of DIY ft bins. I think the ft is easier (or at least just as easy) to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of DIY flow through bin construction descriptions

• randomz
    13 years ago

I have a 240 litre wheelie bin FT and that still has a lot of worms at the bottom even though it is about 28" deep. I don't see that system being anywhere near worm free at the bottom.

This thread has details about how I built my FT.
    http://www.wormdigest.org/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,57/func,view/id,10422/catid,4/limit,6/limitstart,0/

• wormsetc
    13 years ago

Another thing is that even marine plywood only holds up so long under composting conditions. You would have to repaint it every couple of years. Plus like randomz said I think that they would be a lot of worms in the bottom of it. I personally like the worm inn. No silly trays to move around and just loosen up a drawstring to harvest.