Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whatscooking_gw

New system comming

whatscooking
10 years ago

I ordered a Worm Farm 360 and 2000 worms right after Christmas and called to check on shipping yesterday to find out that the worms more than likely will get here first. I have been reading all I can to figure out what I can to do get ready. What are the measurements of the 360? I have been trying to figure out where to set things up. I was thinking my shop but are cold temps are a problem? Can a cover be made to help with the temp? I see a lot of people set up in their home. I went out in the snow yesterday with a bucket and gathered leaves, cow manure and some stuff out of my compost pile where I have been throwing kitchen leftovers, I have it warming up but am a little afraid to us it in this brand new system.

Comments (5)

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

I can help on a few things...

You will need somewhere to put your worms until the bin arrives. It does not have to be fancy. You will want the transition from temporary bin to permanent bin to be as stress free as possible. This means using the same bedding in your temporary bin that you will be using in your permanent bin.

Cold temps could be a problem. How cold are we talking? Anything below 65F will slow things down in the bin. But that is the bin temperature, not the ambient temperature. The bin is usually slightly warmer.

What you gathered may be excellent for your worms, depending... How long has the manure aged? How well is the compost composted? Will this stuff heat up as it continues to break down? If the manure is aged for a while, the compost is at least partially broken down, and it does not heat up after it thaws, then you may have an ideal worm environment. When you transfer your worms to the 360, just put the bedding from your temporary bin in the 360 in one big clump. Or gather enough of this mixture to bed the entire 360. If it heats up, then you may want to mix it with enough shredded cardboard to prevent it from heating.

My gut feeling is that you are off to a good start.

• whatscooking
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got the bin set up and the worms put in the same day. I went next door and got some horse poo and used that in one corner and mix from our compost pile in the other and now when I look in the worms are all over but not in the shipping material where I placed them in, good I think. I have a question after looking the worm farm 360 over. How do you figure when it is time to start another try? Looks like you could end up with trays of worms feeding without finishing castings in the first.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

In the olden days people asked their neighbors for a cup of sugar. As for when to start a second tray, what do the instructions say? No doubt for the money the sellers included well documented worm farm 360 instructions or at least an e-mail addy for questions.

• whatscooking
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the 360 comes with, well documented worm farm 360 instructions, but I thought I could ask here for a little more in detail how to get a feel for adding trays. The instructions say to add food into your feeding tray until an inch of the top and then add a new tray. Then they show the unit with most of the trays filled. Is it as simple as that or does the feeding tray need to be broken down by the worms a lot before adding another.

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

If you are feeding gradually and adding new bedding as well, then the lower tray will be mostly broken down by the time it is within and inch of the top.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County