Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a new worm composting bib

Posted by cobra2 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 10:02

I'm a newbie to this I wan't to start it in a few weeks
any help and ideas for me. I'm going with worm factory 360 4 tray. I need all the help I can get. I live in Lakewood Colorado outside of Denver
thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a new worm composting bib

You might start collecting materials for the bedding and the food. In reviewing the threads here on the vermiculture forum, I found some discussion of FREEZING the foods before giving them to the worms, in order that the foods break down faster. This was a new technique to me. Plus I'm going to have to break my habits of dividing up almost all my kitchen waste between my chickens, mealworms, and compost, and divert more to the worms! I think my worms have probably been underfed for quite some time--I've been going a week or more between tiny feedings--much less than the quantities discussed in the threads!

You might also review the thread below (which I found very informative), and the recent one called "how long have you vermicomposted and what have you learned."

Even after you've been doing it for a while, there's more stuff to learn.

And if you can get the worm bin at least a few days before the worms, I would get that set up and the bedding put in and moist before the worms arrive. If you had a bit of clean compost to put in there to get those biological processes started, it could help get a jump on things, too. The main thing that I've read on here that I worry over is centipedes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worming basics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here