Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encouraging the return of the worms in winter

Posted by ralleia z5 Omaha NE (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 10:03

I have a greenhouse structure--a 20' x 24' hoophouse in its third year of operation. It has decent loamy clay soil--compacts when wet, and is compacted at the deeper levels but otherwise is fairly ok.

I've been limiting water to kill off the weeds there, wild onions, creeping charlie and perennial grasses, but that has made all the worms and much of the soil life leave, too. The good news though is that I haven't had any aphids either, which were a bane on my kale last winter.

There are some areas that are badly compacted now from walking, and some area between bareroot tree starts that I won't be able to use for any plants for months. It's too early in zone 5 to seed cover crops, even with a hoophouse.

What can I do in the meantime to encourage the return of the soil life?

Put down a layer of dried leaves, rotted hay, compostable materials and water it down?

At some point, can I introduce some of the "red wriggler" worms from my colony in the basement? The purpose here would be to help compost the matter that I put down--I know they aren't soil dwellers.

The air temperatures in the hoophouse at 4 feet high range from 12 degrees Fahrenheit on really cold nights to high 80s on sunny, warm winter days.

Or should I do something totally different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encouraging the return of the worms in winter

For compacted soil, manually break it up if you can, nothing is worse than the concrete soil (especially a clayish one) it can turn to. Mix in some of that organic matter and of course some vermicompost, anything to air it up. I've seen people try and garden in new houses with that compacted soil from the machines and the one inch of topsoil the builders replace.

For getting worms back in, might as well get the correct ones. Walmart, gas stations, bait shops (depending on location) should have proper earthworms to kickstart things.

You could always consider a vermicomposting trench system to combine your greenhouse, vermicomposting and soil conditioning in one. Nothing to buy, just a way to do larger scale composting inground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl2XybtZ1dA
From redwormcomposting.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here