Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azbookworm

Confused Wannabee... Newbie

azbookworm
13 years ago

I have read much of this forum. I have read much of other forums. I have viewed several videos.... but

1) How long does it actually take from start to "getting stuff on the bottom of the trash cans?

2) I am assuming the following.... Above the grates, newspaper / cardboard is placed. Then lots of goodness, worms, goodness, and shredded paper.

Until the bottom paper layer finally decomposes, no compost material falls down into the bottom tub? And the number of paper layers will directly affect the timing of this ? I see most people put 6 - 7 layers of paper. ?

THEN, the shear weight / mass of the rotten material keeps the process from falling thru the grates completely. As the material decomposes, it falls thru the grates with worms primarily staying nearer the top of the pile.

Am I wrong? Please correct.

4). Does the size of the container directly affect the output? OR the number of worms?

3) Harvest? I have no idea what you mean? Harvest the compost or Harvest the worms?

I am tired of throwing away good compostible stuff. I would like to either try this process or a full blown compost.

Please advise.

Thanks

Comments (2)