Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown bugs?

Posted by lieslmcq 8a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 15:02

Hey y'all,

I have these brown bugs in my worm bin. They are kind of twirly, if that makes sense. They're long and able to almost turn themselves into a circle. I hope I am making sense! Anyway, does anyone know what kind of bugs these might be and how I can get rid of them?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown bugs?

That sounds like millipedes or centipedes, one of which (I forget which) you don't want in your bin.

o

Centipedes. Oh god, I am sufficiently freaking out right now. Any idea how to get rid of them?

o

From my understanding hand catching is really the only way to deal with centipedes. Just make sure you handle them with gloves or a cup of some kind as they do bite. I came across one in my bin about a month ago, luckily I didn't grab it. A few weeks later I was digging around in my bin and came across a centipede again,don't know if it was the one from earlier, but since I had waterproof gloves on I picked it up. I could see it trying to pinch the glove. I haven't seen another one since but I am not foolish enough to think there might not be others in there somewhere. Still have plenty of worms and the population seems to be growing so if there are more centipedes in the bin, they aren't decimating the herd too badly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here