Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Pesticide on incoming fruit

hummersteve
9 years ago

I have seen online some people wont use banana peels for fear of putting those pesticides in their garden. Wonder what is the feeling of others on this issue?

Comments (7)

• 11otis
    9 years ago

""some people wont use banana peels"".
    I think their fear is more for killing the worms. Not sure if it is pesticide used since banana is ready to eat food. So IMHO the concentration in the garden might be very minimal. Will the produce from that garden qualify as organic? That I don't know.

For I time I collected banana peels from SB, while the staff were willing to separate them rather than throwing in their regular bio trash. I kept them in a bucket until soft and slimy, which took several months, before I fed them to the worms. No genocide.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Since organic bananas are now commonly offered apparently the others are thought to have something significant on them.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

I toss banana peels into the worm bin. As I do I imagine the outside is dripping with toxic roundup. The question would seem to be... "Why am I eating toxic bananas?" I do take the time to take off the banana stickers. And the staples off of the tea bags. Then if there is no staple I worry the bag has plastic in it to heat seal the edges. I could also worry I am worm farming in plastic. Then I think about the amount of fuel used to ship the banana from to tropics. And were the people who harvested it treated well, paid fair, or exposed to chemicals? And what is it that the cut end of the banana bunch is dipped in? Wax? Now the skin of the banana is not enough they are individually wrapped in plastic. And why are they so green? Are they ever going to ripen?

I just sit in the cellar and play with my worms and try not to think about it because if I do my head will explode.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EQ2--- Good point also thats about all I do is peel the stickers. I notice I have not killed any worms at least noteworthy of . I would like to think if its doesnt kill my worms then it should be ok for my garden plus by going thru the worms body any bad stuff should be offset. Thanks all for your comments. I know one thing I sure use a lot of banana peels as I eat my share of apple banana smoothies.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

And what of... apple seed cyanide? :-)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apples , peaches , plums, cherries, pears all have the ingrediant. As long as you dont chew the seed you and the worms will be fine. The seed have a coating that protects. On occasion a seed or two will slip thru to the bin,, no worries

• nexev - Zone 8b
    9 years ago

Moderation, its all about level of exposure. Natural systems have been healing themselves for as long as we have been polluting them.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor