Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mherron2213

Worms not migrating from Bin-1 to Bin-2

mherron2213
10 years ago

I started Bin about 6 months ago. The compost in it is black and moist. The bin is filled with worms - FILLED - 4000 - 5000 at least probably more. I started with 1000.

Approximately a month ago - I added a second bin with plenty of food ( Water melon, Cuks, shredded cardboard, other Vegetables as Bin-2.

What I have observed is that very few Is this normal? What can I do to encourage the upward migration.

Thanks
Mike

Comments (4)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Maybe put the bin on the bottom onto the top?

• Wormee
    10 years ago

Hi there MHERRON2213!

It normally takes between 3-6 months for the worms to migrate and really should be a min of 3 months to allow as many of the eggs to hatch for the babies to move up. (assuming you are wanting to increase worm population)

Ensure any larger or un-composted materials in the 1st bin are transferred to the 2nd bin along with a handful of the compost from the first bin. ( I've found this helps get the second bin started.)

Also remember that it would take at least a week or 2 for the bin to inoculate before the worms would move up and then they will retreat after a feast for a bit until their new home is the way they like it,

No matter how long you wait though, you will never have 100% migrate up.

If waiting on cocoons to hatch is not a priority and you just want to transfer them to the next bin.. place the 1st bin on top of the 2nd bin and then shine a light over the top of it.

Every 10 or so mins.. scrape away about an inch of the compost with your hands and the worms will keep going deeper and eventually into the new bin at the bottom..

This will only work if you have holes in the bottom of the 1st bin.

If you don't have holes in the 1st bin.. place a garbage bag over the 2nd bin (just a single sheet of it) with several holes in it and then place several handfuls of compost on the bag at a time. Simply use the light method until you have scraped away all the compost.. the worms will then go through the holes in the bag and into the new bin.

Takes approx 1 -2 hours depending on how long between scraping off of the compost.

Hope this helps :)

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

My harvesting is more hands on, but it gets the job done.

I lay a piece of burlap, onion bag or something similar with holes on the new bin that's prepared with bedding and food. Put it in a bright light.

Grab handfuls of worms and compost from the finished bin and spread over the top of the burlap. Go have a coffee or start a crossword puzzle. 10 minutes later, come back and you'll find that the worms will have migrated below to the new bin.

Just scoop the finished castings into your pail or storage tote and dump more worms and compost on the burlap again.

I like harvesting this way as I like to see how my bin is doing and take pride in the cocoons being laid.

• BackyardYeoman
    10 years ago

Jasdip, that sounds like a great way to harvest. i think i'm going to give your method a try in a couple of months. thanks for the idea!
    Take it easy,
    BYY