Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitasplace

Milk Crate Bin

anitasplace
10 years ago

After reading so many back posts, I got an(other) idea floating in my head. It is mostly other peoples ideas put together into this one. I don't remember the names of the contributors but please speak up and take credit, if you want to.

My thinking is that I could line a milk crate with newspaper or cardboard then throw into it all the unfinished VC that I get out of the bottom of my flow through. I would seed this with maybe 1/4-1/2 pound of worms.

This bin, I would dunk into my watering water every other day/twice a week. Move it up and down a bit then let it drain for a few minutes in the yard...somewhere that need a bit extra something...like the grass, and use the water to water my gardens.

There wouldn't be any new additions of food...or maybe there would be? Maybe just add some leaf mould. I'm wondering about those wee beasties. Would I be washing too many of them out or could they repopulate quickly enough? I could use aquarium water which has it's own wee beasties. After 2-3 weeks I could throw the whole mess, including the worms, back in the FT worm bin and start it over again.

Lots of moisture, lots of air, lots of drainage. I know its not the same as avct but I think it might be easier...and heavier. Maybe I shouldn't even compare avct with whatever it is I'd be creating. Would these worms be cocoon factories? I'd like cocoon factories. I'm hoping for cocoon factories. What are your thoughts?

Anita

Comments (3)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

From what I remember reading what you had been doing before was working really good. I would start by replicating that. It seemed to be a happy place.

With the fish tank you maybe have a spare air stone and airline around? It can be made in gallon size.

The Milk Crate Bin sounds drippy. The cardboard will weaken and the worms will crawl out. They like to crawl down.

I sometimes have a bucket of "the unfinished VC that I get out of the bottom of my flow through." I use it to toss on top of new additions to the bin. I sift out the finished and the chunkies are the unfinished.

One advantage I have heard for brewed vermicastings is it is sprayed after a rain and on a cloudy day. This helps it do its work.

• mendopete
    10 years ago

Hi Anita.

I have been experimenting with vermicomposting using old milk crates for awhile. They are quite handy and have many uses, including sifting, drying,spreading and transporting VC. I also have used them to raise worms successfully. The best way I found is to line the crate with a breathable grow bag. I bought some 12 gallon soft, cloth-like "pots" at the flea market for $1 ea., and they fit perfect, with some leftover at top to fold over. It is a poor-man's version of the worm-inn, but sits outside on the ground. It works very well.

You should start a "finishing bin" out of a plastic tote, and just make tea with your castings. The milk-crate teabag might work, but would be very heavy to handle and MESSY!

I like the way you think... Good luck Pete

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

One of the common traits of the types of people who decide to develop a close relationship with vermi is independent thinking.

Another is radical incongruity.

Neither of these traits is to be scoffed at. Perhaps they should not be ridiculed. They should be observed,

I would almost assuredly have experimented with this very milk carton system had I milk cartons at hand.

Thank fate I had none, but the image I have is of a system not being conducive to growing worms.

That said, I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Good luck! And if it works well, where can a person get some milk cartons?

Chuckiebtoo