Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shaul_gw

Castings and AVCT Questions

Shaul
10 years ago

Six months ago I harvested the castings from my two bins, filling a large 20 Gal. plastic bin (with cover), about 3/4 full. Some of it I used but most is still there. With recent heavy rains, water somehow seeped in. When I checked it yesterday I found the castings to be covered with water; also there's green algae growing around the edges (inside the container). So, what to do? Are the castings still worth anything or should they just be dumped on the plants (as a soil additive but without any real value)? Also if I add Molasses to the now brown-colored water (inside the bin) and bubble it for 24 hours, will I be getting AVCT or just SACJ (Sweetened-Aerated-Castings-Juice)? And lastly, if it is AVCT will I need to cut it 4-1 (like I would if I was using fresh, to avoid burning the plants), or can I pour it on the plants as-is?

Shaul

Comments (7)

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

You won't burn the plants.

Chuckiebtoo

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Answers to your questions are not arriving to my brain yet. Would you be opposed to running the material through the bin again? It could be a nice cover to added foods scraps to get them going. This would get their fluffy structure back. You have not really lost anything that way as they would be useful on their second but much quicker time through.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Shaul,

Vermicompost won't burn plants at all...even used 100%. Neither will 100% vermicastings or any percentage. No cutting or diluting of it is necessary, although if sprayed, it will be diluted some and will cover more area. One of the founding principles of this thing we do is the truth of those facts.

AVCT is a leached out liquid version of VC that has, thru the process of AERATION (to give the biological life expanding within the mixture the oxygen needed to survive), and having access to foodstuff (ie molasses), giving you the means to spread the goodness that is VC to all plant surfaces...even leaf surfaces, etc.

As for SAJC, that stuff is a myth. It is, even at worst, a form of VCT. And BTW, even that stuff has worth other than as a soil additive. But none of it provides fertilizer-like properties because healthy plants and soil do not need artificial fertilizers.

Healthy plants and soils is what you'll achieve using VC and AVCT.

Chuckiebtoo

• mendopete
    10 years ago

Hello Shaul!

The same kind of thing has happened to me a few times

. The first time I dried it out in a cardboard fruit box.It turned hard as concrete, so I busted it up amd mixed it with dry stuff.

The last time it happened, the whole tub became top dressing for my plants.

I like the idea of running it back through the system if you don't need it soon.

Good luck! Pete

• Shaul
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I couldn't get back to this before now. What I think I'll do is suspend a colander over a 5-Gal. bucket and drain off as much liquid as possible; and then maybe add it back into the system. My only question is: If I add Molasses to the water and then bubble it for 24 hours (like making fresh AVCT), will that reactivate the micro-organisms? Because if not, then there's no sense wasting either the Molasses or the time and I'll just pour it out on the plants. Also I made up that 'SACJ' (to indicate something totally devoid of any qualities, sort of like using sand instead of castings).

Shaul

• TomasW
    10 years ago

For a good solution, add biochar (horticultural charcoal) for an adsorptive that will provide a home for the microorganisms to live on when you add the mix to the soil. We add one cup of a blend of vermicompost and biochar to five gallons of water to make a liquid organic plant food. The residue of innoculated biochar then becomes a fantastic soil amendment.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Please explain for simple me the difference between absorb and adsorptive. I have tried several times through out the years but it has not been absorbed umm adsorped ummm ? See the confusion?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!