Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with uncooked rice

Posted by ribbityup MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 9, 07 at 16:52

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with a bag of uncooked rice that was slighlty infested by moths this summer? I have an outdoor compost bin and two indoor worm bins. I would prefer not to boil it, as I am not keen on the idea of boiling moth larvae in my kitchen. But will the uncooked rice get processed by the bacteria in a worm bin? Will soaking it in water before introducing it to the worm bin help? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with uncooked rice

I suspect that if you put uncooked rice in a compost bin or a worm bin, it will start to grow into rice seedlings. I know that happens to avocado seeds that I put in the worm bin and also leftover birdseed that I throw away.

o

I'd suggest the outdoor compost, and if you don't wanna actually cook it, at least dump it in a pot of boiling water and let it sit awhile to soften up the grains

Bill

o

I wouldnt use it in the worm bin it will take forever to do anything. in the past I have tossed bags of rice in the compost bin and although usually I dont have problems with things getting in there, it became a magnet for cockroaches each time. When I went to turn the compost the rice was just full of them, they werent in any other part of the compost just the area with the rice. I didnt want to cook it up either just to dispose of it, but in future when I have one of these, I'll be digging a hole and burying the rice as deep as I can and keeping it out of the compost bin aswell.

TG

o

Thanx all, outdoor compost it is.

o

Only brown rice could grow, not white. I'd mix it into your bins as is, or you could soak first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here