Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lieslmcq_gw

Tiny snail shells

lieslmcq
14 years ago

I have what look like tiny snail shells in my bin. I noticed a couple a few days ago, and they have since rapidly multiplied. Any idea what they are or what to do? I believe they are common door snails, if my research is correct.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• borderbarb
    14 years ago

I see these tiny shells in my compost [seem to be empty] I thought they might be Decollate snails [prey on large brown garden snails], but the shape of the shell is different. But the Decollate is also said to eat worms. Do you see signs of these snail-like creatures eating your worms? When you squish these shells, are they empty? I hope someone with experience will answer you, as I'm curious, too.

• lieslmcq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They are definitely empty. I haven't seen any evidence of eaten worms, but I'm not sure I'd know what to look for. There are plenty of worms and they are eating up a storm and mating.

Thanks for the response!

• rhapsody616
    11 years ago

The predatory decollate snail, Rumina decollata, has been released in Southern California citrus orchards to control young brown garden snails and is providing very effective biological control. It feeds only on small snails, not full-sized ones. Because of the potential impact of the decollate snail on certain endangered mollusk species, it can�t be released in California outside of Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Madera, Orange, Riverside, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, San Diego, Ventura, and Tulare counties. Decollate snails can feed on seedlings, small plants, and flowers and can be a nuisance when they cover the back patio on a misty day. Because snail baits will kill decollate snails, you shouldn�t use them where these predators are active.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Manage Pests Pests in Gardens and Landscapes