Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny snail shells

Posted by lieslmcq 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 17:05

I have what look like tiny snail shells in my bin. I noticed a couple a few days ago, and they have since rapidly multiplied. Any idea what they are or what to do? I believe they are common door snails, if my research is correct.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny snail shells

I see these tiny shells in my compost [seem to be empty] I thought they might be Decollate snails [prey on large brown garden snails], but the shape of the shell is different. But the Decollate is also said to eat worms. Do you see signs of these snail-like creatures eating your worms? When you squish these shells, are they empty? I hope someone with experience will answer you, as I'm curious, too.

o

They are definitely empty. I haven't seen any evidence of eaten worms, but I'm not sure I'd know what to look for. There are plenty of worms and they are eating up a storm and mating.

Thanks for the response!

o

The predatory decollate snail, Rumina decollata, has been released in Southern California citrus orchards to control young brown garden snails and is providing very effective biological control. It feeds only on small snails, not full-sized ones. Because of the potential impact of the decollate snail on certain endangered mollusk species, it can�t be released in California outside of Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Madera, Orange, Riverside, Santa Barbara, San Bernardino, San Diego, Ventura, and Tulare counties. Decollate snails can feed on seedlings, small plants, and flowers and can be a nuisance when they cover the back patio on a misty day. Because snail baits will kill decollate snails, you shouldn�t use them where these predators are active.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Manage Pests Pests in Gardens and Landscapes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here