Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joefalco_gw

Best Price for Red Worms

joefalco
18 years ago

I was wondering where can I get the best price on worms including shipping right now. I plan on ordering 2 pounds.

I can't remember the place I ordered from last time I searched my email for the invoice but I can't find it.

Comments (28)

• Matt_Man
    18 years ago

I'm planning on buying some of ebay. You could find a lot of different prices, but i'm planning on buying 2 pounds for $34. I checked from places like wormwoman.com and she sells 2 pounds for like $41. The person that I'm going to buy from has free shipping

• AbbeysDad
    18 years ago

Price should only be one factor. What if the price was a couple of dollars better but the worms were badly stressed because of long distance shipping in bad weather? I was amazed many years ago when I ordered worms from a garden supply company and they were shipped clear across the country!
    If I was you, I'd look for a worm farm right there in SC and check their prices. There's probably several, but I remember not long ago I ordered from nyworms.com but the worms actually came from Hodges, SC which I believe is the address of the Early Bird Worm farm.

I think what you want is a supplier that guarantee's live delivery and either includes shipping or makes it clear what the shipping will cost you up front. I also like the idea of finding a local supplier so the worms don't have to travel that far, especially in either the heat of summer or the cold of winter - of course this is different for most of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redworm suppliers

• joefalco
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did do a search for local farmers and I couldn't find any with web sites.

I did find early bird worm farm also and the link you sent me but no websites for anyone in SC.

Hmmm your right though I would rather buy from someone local and spend $5 more.

So a better question are there any worm farmers in SC that I can order from their website.

• loamy
    18 years ago

There aren't any listings under Worms in the yellow pages for Charleston, SC, but I linked (i forget how) to Fisherrecycling here who notes that they have just started a vermicomposting project.

They were at a conference and not available when I called, but I plan to go see their set up (probably some huge industrial thing) and maybe ask if they could sell me some castings as my bin is brand new and I have some plants outside that could really benefit right now. Their mission statement embraces community involvement.

Local recyclers in your area might have extra worms? Or, when I get a chance to go over to fisherrecycling, I will ask them if they would sell some worms. It might be worth the drive.

Ordered my worms from Mississippi, box arrived scrunched a little but they seem to be alive. Right now acclimating to bin, I try not to disturb them. Not crawling up sides or out the ventilation holes (didn't cover them with mesh hope I don't end up having to...) hope that is a sign of their happiness (rather than imminent demise.) The total cost was 40 dollars for 2 pounds, which included shipping.(magicwigglers)

• takadi
    15 years ago

I'll be truthful here, I find it somewhat unethical to charge more than 10 bucks a pound for a bunch of worms that breed like crazy, no matter what miracles they perform, especially since you can find them for free.

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

Good think you don't live in Canada Takadi. The going price for a is $45 per pound, plus tax and shipping!

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

$16 a lb http://www.shallowcreekranch.com/

Mine were $34.50 a lb shipped, arrived healthy. Found these after, I'll try one or both if I ever need a replacement.

Here is a link that might be useful: $15 lb

• mbetts
    15 years ago

Anyone wanting worms enough to get a home bin going should try craigslist or freecycle. You never know what you'll find!
    mbetts

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

When I ordered my first batch of worms, I wanted to find a local source and found Cosmo's Red Worms: 1-1/2 lbs worms + 1-1/4 lbs bedding = $35(postage included). He's a long-time worm broker who takes orders over the phone and sends them once he receives your check in the mail. My first batch came very quickly via Priority Mail from Sacramento (90 miles away). Other than having to adjust to the change of climate (90+ degress/dry in Sacto to mid-50's/damp in SF) the worms arrived in good condition and I'd order from Cosmo again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cosmo's Red Worms

• vrie
    15 years ago

I ordered from unclejimswormfarm 40 for 2 lbs. Came fairly quick and really healthy, now happily in their home. After two weeks looking for free or cheaper worms(including my own yard), they seemed most reliable (im not too sure about the ebay thing)

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

I got most of mine from blueridgevermiculture
    The worms were healthy and robust....still are for that matter.

• wxdude99
    15 years ago

I originally used red worms I bought at a bait store. They were pretty lame. I bought a pound from unclejimswormfarm and they were waaaaay better. They moved a lot quicker, and most importantly, they ate my garbage a lot quicker. I highly recommend uncle jims.

• sqh1
    15 years ago

"I'll be truthful here, I find it somewhat unethical to charge more than 10 bucks a pound for a bunch of worms that breed like crazy, no matter what miracles they perform, especially since you can find them for free."
    takadi ...
    Unethical?
    Do you raise worms?

• konadog
    15 years ago

Well, the link that rj_hythloday posted above was the best price I could find, and they were somewhat local to me. I just received them, very prompt, great communication, and from what I have seen so far, good worms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Worm Fertilizing Products

• takadi
    15 years ago

sqhl1

I got two pounds of redworms traveling to a local farm and digging through some manure. Anything that you can find in abundance for free shouldn't cost more than 10 bucks, maybe even 15 or 20. 30 or even 40 bucks per pound of worms is just obscene.

• slogal
    15 years ago

I took mbetts' advice and posted a "want to buy" ad on Craig's List. Several people in nearby towns responded. One man in my town offered to give me a shovel full from the bottom of his compost pile. He wouldn't take any money and refused my offer of veggies as trade. He actually gave me three shovels full(!) and only asked that I pay it forward when I can. And I most certainly will.

• folly_grows
    15 years ago

Slogal: Your "pay it forward" benefactor makes me smile. :-) One day I hope to have enough worms to do the same.

• Karchita
    15 years ago

I would highly recommend that any one wanting healthy worms for free simply set out some damp corrugated cardboard on the ground in a promising spot and see what is there in a couple of weeks. If they live in your area and the tempurature is above 40F or so, they will come. Or just poke around under some old leaves in any nearby natural area. Of course, make sure it isn't private property or a park with restrictions, etc.

All that is necessary to start a rubbermaid-sized bin is a handful or two.

If anyone in the Seattle area wants some, they can contact me. If I have any to spare (my population fluctuates with the seasons), I will do so with the same precondition to pass it forward as above.

• sqh1
    15 years ago

takadi ..Anyone that wants to take the time to find their own worms for free can do so.
    I just do not think that charging some amount for worms should be considered "obscene".
    It takes a lot of time and sweat to keep a herd growing, weighing out and getting them to a destination.

• eyes5
    15 years ago

How about you find someone who has a compost heap and ask if you can stir it for them and collect any worms in the process? I was appalled the first time I found out the going price for worms. It's way too much!

• matovisme
    15 years ago

I paid 19.95 for 1 pound. I also found them at a local bait shop for less.

• takadi
    15 years ago

sqh1, I never said charging people for worms was obscene. I said charging people 30 or 40 bucks for a lb of them is obscene. I'm sure it takes time and effort and space to make high quality compost or mulch, but I've never seen it go for more than 10 dollars a lb. Why should something that breeds prolifically and can be found almost anywhere if the conditions suit it right be charged anymore?

Btw, if you do plan on buying red wigglers, this site had worms for the cheapest price I could find on the internet, 15 per lb.

http://carolsearthwares.com/

• pineviewplanter
    15 years ago

A terrific fellow to deal with......http://kentuckylakeredworms.com/default.aspx

I would recommend this fellow very highly... and he is not too far away from you...

Carolyn

• anney
    15 years ago

For Georgia gardeners or the states around, here's a worm-seller in Zebulon, GA, just south of Atlanta:

WCCO Worm Farm

Their price is $20 for a pound and $8.60 S/H.

• herronfarms
    13 years ago

if in ga,tn,al,sc,fl try, http://herronfarms.webs.com

great price's and not just a bunch of dirt

also here is a great link any where in the world
    findworms.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Herron Farms

• littychic
    13 years ago

I'll just preface this by saying I have no vested interest in the following business, but as a customer I was very satisfied.

Redwormcomposting.com charges about $35 all inclusive for a pound of worms. They arrived fat, active, and happy, and Bentley's delivery policies make sure that they don't get stressed in the heat or cold. I have found this biz to be totally reputable, and Bentley (the owner) to be incredibly helpful. Absolutely worth the $35.

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/buy-composting-worms

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

Don't some worm suppliers not ship during -10 degree weather and 100 degree forcast a week in advance record breaking record weather?

• vappregan
    10 years ago

best price red Californian worms 1pound = 10$

but the problem is I live in Croatia,Europe shipping is high 17-18$ and long trip for worms,not belive they wood come alive to USA I pay fast mail here in Croatia and my mail come in ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) one or 2 days but then they preparing for shippment for week or more, or sometimes like this try to track my shippment RB511719975HR i send it 09.09.2013.like priority mail to USA. THANKS.