Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

do you trade worms??

Michelle Reynolds
14 years ago

hello

I have never tried V.composting, and wanted to try a small bin(5 gallen bucket) for starters and wanted to know if it is ok to ask for a small number of worms in trade to get started. just a handfull or 2, I have seeds to trade or gardening mags, quilting fabric, or I may have something else you would like.

if this is not ok to do please just let me know, I don't want to get in to trouble, but thought it would be ok to ask.

michelle

Comments (9)

• jonas302
    14 years ago

I think its ok to ask you should put your location on your info though

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Michelle, you might try posting a request on freecycle or craigslist. You could also call nearby horse stables and ask if you could root around their aged manure piles (if they have them).

Andrew

• shermthewerm
    14 years ago

I would be willing to give a handful or two of worms to someone who was interested in vermicomposting, and I imagine anyone in your area would do the same. I know that the hardest part of starting up vermicomposting was the initial investment of worms (I don't remember the exact amount, but I believe it was close to $45/lb.) The rest is easy & fun.
    Good luck!
    I see you're in zone 5, so unfortunately I can't help as I'm in Portland, OR, but I do hope you find a local supplier who's willing to "share the love"!

• mendopete
    14 years ago

Michelle, you are not likely to find someone to mail you worms unless you pay. They need special packaging most of us don't have. Aged manure is an excellent source. I use aged horse manure for feed and bedding. I always see worms in the manure when I add it, and assume it has lots of worm cacoons also. It is free near here for the shoveling! If you are patient, a few hundred worms will quickly multiply under good conditions. Redworms for fishing at you local bait and tackle shop is another source for cheap small quantities. Good luck! Pete

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Hi Michelle,

I wish I could help. I have started 5 totes, just to breed up and give away to people just like you. Unfortunately, I'm in Aust, and it will be pick up only.

It only take 100 worms and 4-5 maonths to breed to over 1000, so I hope someone will help you out.

Cheers

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

I got mine from my compost pile. Some seasons, weather, items condition in the pile create more or less worms. The amount I started with would fit in half an egg shell. Two years later I could fill maybe two grapefruits with worms. I have given away half a few times. I also let the babies grow in the harvest vermicompost and harvest them back into the main worm composting area. I am finally almost happy with the amount of worms I have.

• cathd66
    14 years ago

I'd agree with the hoorse poop suggestions. In fact, if you get a bin of aged horse manure (that was aged outdoors preferably) you could just treat it as a worm bin, because you can almost guarantee that there are some worms in it. Add waste slowly- there will be enough microorganisms in it anyway to decompose waste- and the worms will soon congregate in the area with the new food.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello
    thans everyone for your help
    I did go to the local fishing department at walmart and got several tubs of trout/pan worms, I hope these are the right ones, small redish worms.
    now I'm gonna get them set up in a med bin.
    I'm also gonna cruse the pages here for things I should NOT give them
    you guies are a fountain of info
    thanks
    michelle

• leearnold
    14 years ago

Michelle, You could try www.vermicomposters.com this is a site that has listings of people all over with worm bins. Go to your area and see if someone is near you.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction