Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumiebear

Dog poo composter

plumiebear
14 years ago

Credit to Catherine Daly for the idea.

I've been picking up after my dog for over 13 yrs. I'd read about Bentley's cat litter composting efforts, but it was so large a system it didn't strike a chord with me. I could immediately relate to Catherine's smaller system.

I was on my way to dig this composting pit on Jan. 19th, but was distracted by Jabba the worm. Although I only got around to it today, I have been saving "feedstock" for this since that day. I won't go into details of weight or volume. I'll just say that Bear is very regular with his deposits.

The hole is ~8-9" deep x ~18" wide. A few rocks to line the bottom.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers..." The fistful of "volunteers" from my flow through...ready to fight the good fight and give their lives for a worthy cause if need be. I'm confident they'll be victorious and we'll see them thriving in a few months.

Lining of weed block fabric + some stuff from a compost bin as a base. I dumped the lucky worms on one side and the deposits on the other side, then covered everything with leaves. The trash can lid should prevent anyone from stepping in it.

Reminder to self for later: BSFL poo composting

Comments (2)