Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nexev

Feather Bed

nexev - Zone 8b
9 years ago

Did a search on 'feathers' and didnt really see any specific discussion on the use of feathers in a worm bed.

Feathers are a protein source but they also have a bit of a structure to them too. Would they make for a food/bedding like HM?

Asking because we started with chickens this last year and are expanding on them this year. Intend to do some broilers at least once and maybe twice this year along with the laying hens. The hens themselves will probably go two to three years then be replaced so that will be another ongoing source even if I decide I dont want to mess with the broilers every year.

So does anyone here have working worms and utility chickens? If so is there any downsides on adding feathers to bins as in dont put so much, dont bury or simply dont do it at all?

I understand some people keep chickens (and/or worms) more as beneficial pets and I can appreciate that and dont mean to offend anyone.

The article linked below shows a slight gain in worms being present though it did not take much longer for composting just feathers alone and in between for with and without worms but with cow dung so likely much of the acceleration is attributed to the microbes the dung and worms bring to the table rather than actual consumption by the worms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feathers in Vermipost

Comments (3)