Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee chaff for redworms

Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 28, 11 at 21:16

I have 200 super sacks( 8'high X 4'wide X 4'wide & about1200-1500lbs each). Coffee waste is green beans, roasted beans, roasted ground beans that are not brewed & mostly coffee chaff. Once the chaff cools, it is wet so it goes though a heat laying in the bag in the field. After it cools, can I spread it out 12-18 inches & put the red worms in it?
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The green bean are the light colored ones,the brown are roasted,the red fines is unbrewed coffee, the dark or black fines is chaff that has started to go though a heat & began to break down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee chaff for redworms

I'dd add some brown in the form of leaves, hay or lots of shredded paper/cardboard. If you can keep the pile moist and add small amounts of worms they'll take to it and start breeding once it's cool. If it's still hot you'll want to leave it till it cools to around 80F.

It's a good material. If the coffee stays moist and on it's own it tends to mold or produce some sort of fungus. If you can mix it with carbon and some water it'll compost well and makes a good bed for worms. If you want it to sit for some time you could add veggie scraps or other food and leave it for 6 months or a year while the worms eat through it.

Good luck, you've found a good source of biomass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here